95 XJ starting problem.

95 XJ I6 automatic. New battery, plugs, wires, cap and rotor 2 weeks ago. Jeep drove to Mississippi and back (Wisconsin) - no problems. Wife moved jeep out of drive on turkey day, no start that evening - tried puttin transmission in neutral and park, no click. Jumped and nothing - no click. This morning while verifying good connections to the starter, I crossed 2 terminals and sparked at the solenoid, starter 'whirred'. Tried starting and nothing, put transmission in neutral and it started. Drove around a little got back home turned it off and now it starts without any hesitation........

I'm glad that it starts but am puzzled by what was wrong, Is there a transmission 'safety switch' that my have poor contacts? Where would the switch be found/ serviced?

thanks paul

Reply to
paul

paul proclaimed:

I just went thru this same thing on a 95 ZJ with the I6 auto. Began a bit intermittent, and tended to happen when the battery may have been a bit low due to a hospital stay. Plus the genius that last "checked" the battery left the !!@#$! terminals loose.

Fixed the cables, pulled the ground from the body and cables at the starter and solenoid and cleaned thoroughly with a Dremel. Put back and painted with conformal coating.

Swapped the transmission switch and the starter relay, and at the same time found a crack in the fuel pump relay top. Swapped both relays. Battery is brand new DieHard, checked for surface charge, plus I cheat and have a spare new DieHard as a result of a warranty confusion. Jumping with the two fully charged batteries in parallel, not a click other than the very quiet one of the starter relay [which eliminates the transmission switch and the starter relay].

Gave up and asked the service manager at local dealer. He loaned me a steel bar with instructions to whack the solenoid a good one. That worked. Three times. Bummer, can't get a new starter, had to settle for remanufactured.

This could be the park neutral switch, about 8 bucks at a dealer parts, no idea how cheap elsewhere.

Reply to
Lon

[snip]

Lon.

The Neutral Safty Switch for a XJ with the 4.0L and ASIN AW4 is VERY expensive. But they can be cleaned and regreased and then are good as new.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Last year when I went to buy a new switch I was quoted over $350 cdn (about $300 usd). Thats a long way from 8 bucks.

You can do one of three things, buy it new from a stealership. If you have the money and have no technical know how what so ever.

Bypass your safety switch and allow your XJ to start in any gear, this is best done if you bypass the connector on the switch side of the harness (a new switch comes with the harness) so you don't have to chop and repair the vehicle side harness. A quick look at a schematic for the safety switch will allow you see what you need to jumper (THIS WORKS EVEN FOR TROUBLE SHOOTING THE CIRCUIT).

Remove and repair your current switch

I would suggest getting a schematic for the circuit first and try umpiring the connector to see if this will solve your problem.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Jo Bo proclaimed:

? That much difference? The 42RE in the ZJ, the switch is NE 8058060, and it was $18.60 [sorry not $8] complete with the seal.

Reply to
Lon