95 yj starting problem

My '95 YJ (2.5 engine) started having this problem just yesterday. I turn the key and the starter starts to run for an instant then it cuts off and nothing moves and makes no noise. I turn the key to off and immediatly to start again and it fires right up and runs fine. It has not (yet) happened on any first start of the day, just later starts. On the first start, I usually let the fuel pump run until I hear the relay click it off and then start the jeep. On later starts I usually just start directly without waiting for the click.

Classical CPS problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
nrs

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

The battery was in the jeep since before I bought it about 1.5 years ago so who knows how long it has been there. Also the jeep had not been run for a long distance for about two weeks. I=B4ll start by cleaning the cables, then consider changing them, and then consider a new battery. Now thinking about it, I had a weak start about a month ago. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
nrs

Among others, the engine will turn over and start but will not run more than a couple of revs if the CPS signal is missing. Have you done the ignition on-off-on-off-on dance and checked for codes?

Reply to
DougW

I checked the codes yesterday and none came up. This seems to support the idea that it is cables or battery. Thanks

Reply to
nrs

Sometimes, but not always. A bad battery connection will show up as a bucketload of codes. A bad coil will cause hard starts, usually when cold, till it warms up and then refuses to work. Some sensor faults will not set codes. I've had a bad CPS give me fits with no codes. Replacing it cured the problem.

I'd be checking the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor for any problems and if it's been a while since you replaced them then replace them.

Have you cleaned out the throttle body idle air passage and butterfly? If that's gummed up it could be causing a stall.

Reply to
DougW

Maybe I didn't describe the problem very well. The engine doesn't start on the first try when this happens, just the starter motor starts to work for an instant and then cuts off. Its like power to the starter is getting cut off. On the second try the starter motor turns the engine and engine fires right up and has no problems once it is running. The idle is just about perfect too.

Plugs are new but the wires, cap and rotor are old and the throttle body has been cleaned recently.

Reply to
nrs

Ah..ok.

Might give this a try.

Turn the key to on, but don't start. Wait a few seconds, turn the key off. Then start the engine.

If this works then the problem is in the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump check valve.

Reply to
DougW

He is describing a bad main power connection.

The 'starter' stops turning!

On the older ones this was usually just a dirty connection at the starter relay or solenoid or just a main battery cable end loose or dirty.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

After running the jeep for longer distances the problem has disappeared leading me to believe it was a weak battery as had been suggested. I'll be cleaning the cables next weekend just to make sure. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reply to
nrs