'95 YJ Fluid Change

'95 YJ w/98K on 2.5 4cyl. Synthetic or natural? Gaskets or silicone? My guy at the local 4WD Shop recommends synthetics in the differentials, transfer case, transmission. Suggests pulling the covers when draining and putting them back together with silicone. How about engine oil? I was going to use Castrol GTX High Mileage.

Still a newbie here but I did drive the YJ into a water,mud hole of unknown depth (probably not smart, but fun) and drove right out while driving an old forest road last weekend.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis

All that sounds right on the money to me. :)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford PP-ASEL N6TAY See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

P.S. Just make sure he doesn't use a GL-5 gear lube in your transmission... have him get you some Redline MT-90... which is a synthetic... for your tranny.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Sounds good to me too.

Watch the tranny oil to make sure it isn't for diffs with the limited slip additive in it.

'I' find the best no leak results on the covers is when I let the RTV 'sensor safe' silicone set up for the 24 hours the package says before adding oil.

Oh and you can easily check all the fluids for water. It is silly to just change everything after a water crossing. I was in up to the tops of my 33's several times last week and just took a quick glance.

If the gear oil has any water, it will turn into a purple milkshake looking stinky goop instead of just plain stinky oil.

Mike

Steve Landis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm changing the fluids because I just bought the YJ, not because of the water crossing. Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Landis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ah, OK, I saw the water comment.

It is a good idea to change all the fluids on a 'new' Jeep as you are thinking then you have a base.

While you are under there you might want to find the stoopid button vent up on the tranny shift tower and change it over to a high water vent line like the t-case and diffs have. That way you aren't as likely to fill the tranny with water if the next crossing is an 'oh crap, that's deep' one....

I pulled mine out, it was plastic and hammered a piece of steel gas line in the vent hole to make a nipple for the line, then ran the line up by the battery where the t-case one is.

Mike

Mike Romain

Steve.

My 96 XJ calls for synthetic in the rear diff when pulling a trailer so it's got to be better. Also you'll find the only to drain them is to remove the cover then you'll also see they were sealed with silicone.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
Steve Landis

Steve Landis did pass the time by typing:

Your guess is correct. Personally, I don't like MLM based "bizznes oportooniteeez" as most tend to be barely legal pyramid scams.

Never used the stuff myself, figure if it was that wonderful it would be stocked at the local auto parts stores and not sold like Amway. :)

Anyhoo, it's his vehicle, money, and choice.

Reply to
DougW

No it's my vehicle, money, etc. Jerry suggested the Redline MT- 90. Any other recommendations for the fluid change. He'll use whatever I want.

Steve

95 YJ w/98K
Reply to
Steve Landis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Or his swedish cousin who said "There's a sucker Bjorn every minute"

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Steve Landis did pass the time by typing:

Ah. In that case I'd belive Jerry. The dirt track folks I know use Redline products.

Reply to
DougW