95 YJ - Need Gas Tank

I have fuel leaking on the side of my gas tank. Closer inspection leads me to believe the tank has been repaired in the past (I'm not the original owner).

I have found several websites that have plastic & steel tanks for Jeeps up thru and incl. 1990 but nothing for my 1995 YJ.

1) Was the OEM tank a poor design, and why plastic?

2) Where can I find a replacement tank? I really don't want to take a chance with a used tank, whether its from a salvage yard or ebay.

3) Are there other parts I should consider replacing when I drop the old tank, sort of "for good measure"?

Thanks!

Reply to
lost-n-confused

I suspect collision damage or bottoming-out on something. This tank is polyethylene, a plastic. Most all tanks are made out of poly now to prevent rust inside the tank and because it is actually fairly durable. Try a Jeep dealer for price on a new tank. Afaik, Jeep and their supplier are the only sources for this tank new. With time, the aftermarket suppliers will begin to have them. Have you tried

That would be the first place I would look.

I believe that poly can be welded, with the right temperature and equipment. The best repair for plastic is solvent glue, but I don't know whether that exists for poly or not. I have made small repairs with silicon, but you have to get the article to be repaired completely clean, and let the silicon thoroughly cure before you expose it to fuel.

I believe that the fuel filter is inside the tank, but I don't know whether you can replace it separately from the fuel pump assembly.

Good luck,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton