1986 dodge pick up,gas tank

Hi,I have a 1986 3/4 ton dodge pickup,360 engine,2 wheel drive,i don't get any gas from tank to fuel pump,blew line from fuel pump to tank, gas started flowing,truck run 2 days or about 75 miles,gas stoped again,blew line to tank,still no gas,its a 25 gal tank,can i drop the gas tank,or is there something i should look for from fuel pump to gas tank,would appricate any help,thanks for your time,Louie

snipped-for-privacy@midrivers.com

Reply to
Loges

It's easy to drop the tank. On my 90 the fuel hoses were swaged on and I had to cut the swaged Aluminum sleeves. Since you're dealing with gasoline, don't use a Dremel or other electric tool. Use a hack saw.

Here is how I got mine out. Find a scrap of plywood to put under the tank, use a floor jack to lift it a tiny bit. Remove the two steel straps and the rubber hose on the gas filler tube. Then let the tank down a little. You can then get to the hoses at the top and get them off. Then let it down more and remove the wires, and let it down.

The top of the tank has an opening that has the pickup and fuel level sender. It comes off easily. You may find a bunch of stuff in the tank stopping up the inlet sock. The best thing to clean the tank out with is regular dish soap and very hot water. Dawn works great.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

thanks Big Al,will try to tank off today ,again thanks for your time,have a good day,Louie

Reply to
Loges

Hi Big AL,Loges,i asked about taking a gas tank off a 1986 dodge 3/4 ton

2wheel drive,360 eng,i have tank off ,this is a fiberglass or plastic tank,it has B 30 on the tank,i couln't find anything on the sending unit,to get the sending unit off ,ther is a plastic holder that screws off with threads on it,i cracked the top of it taking it off,iam sure its a 30 gal tank,the sock on the bottom of sending unit looks dirthy, but could blow threw it,i didn't find any hoses that were soft,do you know anything about this kind of gas tank ,or were i could find a number on it,should i order a new sending unit?,where do you order from?Thanks again for your time and help,Louie
Reply to
Loges

The tank is plastic. Should have mentioned that:) The sender has a large lock ring around it. You turn it to get the sender out. On some tanks it looks like a giant plastic jar lid with a hole in the center. On others it's steel. If you look at it you can see the way it clamps the top of the sender down. After you get the sender out you can replace the sock. It's an auto parts store item.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

thanks Big AL i hhave sending unit out will try to find sock,were can i get a sending unit from?> thanks again for the help.Louie

Reply to
Loges

Hi,again,Big AL,I asked about the sending unit on a 1986,dodge pickup,

2wheel drive,360,engine,30 gal gas tank,is plastic,i have tank off,and sending unit out of tank,the sock is not round,its flat, but i think it was round at one time,at the bottom of unit there is a black rubber about 2,1/2 long,there are 2 wires going to it,i can see what looks like little blades,i can turn them,is suppose to run when you turn the key on would it then suck gas into gas line?? Thanks for the help,do you know where i can find a sending unit,for this dodge,thanks again for the help and your time,Louie snipped-for-privacy@midrivers.com
Reply to
Loges

You lost me. Are you looking for a sender or the fuel pump? The original electric fuel pump is a Carter and you can buy the original at discount auto parts stores. If the gas gauge works correctly you do not need a sender. BTW: Change the plastic hose going from the pump to the top of the tank. Use regular good fuel line and gear clamps. The plastic stuff gets hard and breaks.

Al

Reply to
Big Al