96 Cherokee Front Wipers Sweep Intermittently On ALL Speed Settings (Inter, Low and Hi)

Wipers will start to wipe across a few times....then stop up on the windshield at different positions...then reststart.... then will return to base when turned off. Is it:

Wiper motor ? Column swtich ? Relay (someplace under dash ) ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ndccpf1

Jeeps are notorious for bad ground connections. I use a battery booster cable clamped to the negative battery post to test them. I would clamp the other end onto the wiper motor case to see if that fixes it. If it does, look for a copper strap under one of the mounting bolts that is either missing the bolt or is loose or corroded.

Second if the column switch feels loose, it might be an issue.

The relay also could have a corroded pin on it. Sorry I don't know where it is located if it isn't in the relay box under the hood. Just follow one of the main positive leads from the battery, it should end at the relay or power distribution box.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Wipers will start to wipe across a few times....then stop up on the
Reply to
Mike Romain

I found the intermittent relay with Velcro under the dash left of steering column, I cleaned contacts and even connected the two plugs together leaving out the relay controller (they fit together). Wiper stops still at times in mid sweep. I reconnected relay contrioller and can feel the relay activate but the wipers don't move.....that now tells me relay OK and combo swtich OK......my motor is the prime suspect.. Will call Jeep parts counter in the AM.

Reply to
ndccpf1

Did some testing on the relay. Looks to be my motor as I connected the relay plugs directly and it fails on low / high speed by stopping in mid sweep.

Reply to
ndccpf1

That is a junkyard part unless you feel like buying the dealership dinner.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Rebuilts from NAPA or Autozone work great, usually have a decent warranty too.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That still doesn't rule out the bad or forgotten ground tag. Your wipers sound like someone has done a fast re + re on them just to get it legal to sell although it will 'not' pass a safety inspection with no washers up here in Canada at least. Maybe they missed the ground strap?

I would still do the booster cable ground test if it was mine before spending money.

Your 'wipers' also should have a relay I think. That is different that the intermittent module's relay. At least it is on my Jeep.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

That problem often results from a dirty or damaged spot in the contact rings of the wiper switches that sit on the motor itself - part of the parking setup that is supposed to return them to the "home" position when you turn the wipers off. Once you get the absurd dealer price for a new one, you might want to open up that switch to clean the contact arms and rings really well - the one in my MJ was screwed up and the fix has lasted 8 years now. I used a 600 grit sandpaper to burnish mine and repacked the grease while I was in there.

Reply to
Will Honea

I wentto a local junk yard yesterday. $45 got me the motor and "transmission"....which is the assembly of the linkage arms and the two missing washer jets. Works great now ! Thanks all. P.S. I did call a local Jeep dealer and they quoted me $ 350.00 for the motor and linkage.

Reply to
ndccpf1