93 GC wiper problem

My 93 GC 135Kmi seems to have developed a wiper problem over the cold weekend. The wipers some times work fine. However sometimes after turning them off, the wipers try to park at the base of the windshield and they get close but then it appears that they seize up or short out. The headlights dim and voltage meter drops to 9V until the wiper circuit breaker trips. Once they get stuck in this situation I found out the wipers have to be pulled upwards a little bit otherwise they will continue to trip the circuit breaker. When pulled up the windshield slightly, the wipers will eventually start working again for a while (like all day Sun afternoon) until the circuit breaker incidence occurs again. However when the wipers work they seem to be moving much slower than before and they are parking higher up on the windshield than they used to.

I am thinking that the motor is going bad or one of the position switches inside the motor is going bad. I really don't think it is the column switch or the wiper control box since the wipers work on delay, low, and high when they are working. So my questions are has anyone had a similar problem and what was the fix? I presume the wiper motor is in the cowl area under the black plastic panel and is pretty accessible.

Walt B.

Reply to
wb

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I'll try that. Once it gets out of single digit temps, I'll take a look under the cowl for ice. I am sure the wiper motor is not happy about the the high stall currents.

Reply to
wb