'96 Cherokee Tank capacity

Has anyone else noticed that while the owner's manual states the capacity at twenty gallons, the tank never holds more than sixteen? I have tried running the thing empty, but no matter how low the gauge reads (to the pin, actually), that thing won't run dry. Is it possible that the sending unit or gauge are faulty in some way? I've not checked either, so I'm open to suggestion. TIA

-S

Reply to
idiot_free_in-MD

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Have you looked to see if you have a dented tank??

My 95 XJ Sport took 18.5 to 19 gal. once, so I know it's *close* to a

20 gal tank...

(I sputtered into the gas station on fumes for that 18.5 gal. fillup .)

I still have gas with the needle *on top* of the idiot light (well, by a needles width or so). We might have different gauges though.

Are you getting close to 300 miles before you give up and fill it up? (Assuming you are getting the rated 15MPG ... I DONT!)

noneofyourbusiness

Faulty gauge. Mine doesn't start to move until I have burned five or six gallons. I think yours might actually be better, but it's no fun staring at that needle on empty, is it?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Mine has taken as much as 18 gallons, and I DID run it out of gas once, it did NOT fry the fuel pump, I just put gas in it, switched the ignition on and let the fuel pump run for about 10 seconds or so, and she fired right up.

I also set the trip meeter when filling the tank, at 300 miles it's time to get gas, but it's usually closer to 320 before I do.

Oh, and if you are really low on gas and it looks like the gage is starting to move up again get gas RIGHT NOW, the engine is about to stop.

Funny, I'd totally forgotten until that happened but my 1960 Studebaker Hawk did exactly the same thing.

Guys, I am NOT afraid to drive this Jeep even with over 300,000 miles. So far this year I've got a picture of the Jeep with the St. Louis arch, the Mississippi River at Natchez, the St. Laurence River at Lake Ontario, and in a few weeks I should have one more with the mouth of Tampa Bay and the Sunshine Skyway.

Jeff DeWitt

idiot_free_> Has anyone else noticed that while the owner's manual states the capacity at

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

8 below, 10:30 on a Friday night, halfway between Burlington, CO and Colby, KS. Now that will keep the pucker factor up when the low level light blinks at you! I can't ever remember passing that many closed gas stations on a major interstate. Lesson learned...
Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
RoyJ

My gauge never goes above F, and the furthest I've ever pushed it brought the needle below E, somewhere a little over 250 miles, was to just 18 gallons below full. Never even got 19 into that tank.

Brian

The dealer told me when I purchased my 96 country new in 96 to "never let the gage get close to empty as the gages are very un-predictable". I know that this model has a low fuel warning light but I have never seen it lit and have 110 k on it now. I always fill up before it gets much lower than

1/2 tank per the gage. RM~
Reply to
Rob Mills

Now that I have a low fuel light when it comes on I figure it's time to get gas in a day or so

Jeff DeWitt

Rob Mills wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt