96 GC Orvis heated seat problem

I have a 96 GC Orvis and the drivers side heated seat stopped working. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the heated seats? If you do please send it to me direct.

I have the Clymer book AND IT IS TOTALLY USELESS!! SO DON'T BUY IT.

I used a meter and on both settings, high and low the reading is 12 volts, unplugged. Is the switch current limiting, for high and low? What should be the resistance for, the heating coil?

Thanks in advance. Joe

Reply to
Z1R1200cc

Z1R1200cc did pass the time by typing:

I don't have any schematics that get that detailed, but if memory serves there is a thermal fuse built into the system. The usual problem is a circuit break though. The wires flex, but not that much. Disconnect the seat and put an ohmmeter across the element lines. You should see a fairly high resistance. If you see an open you know it's a broken wire.

Gonna have to defer to someone else on the particulars, don't know if the heater assembly can be got separate.

Good luck.

Reply to
DougW

Joe,

I have a 96 Jeep GC Limited with heated seats. I fixed the driver's side once and the passenger side twice. The problem is that the wires flex over the seams in the leather seats and break where they attach to the mesh in the seat. The best way to diagnose is to unplug the connector in the back of the seat and determine if it is in the seat or the back. I have always found it in the seat. I have schematics that I can scan and send to you if you needed.

This is how I have fixed the problem. Instead of going around the seam, I used an "exacto" knife and cut through the seam (not through the stitch where it would be seen on the outside) and pushed the wire through before soldering. After soldering, I would put clear RTV over the soldered section for added rigidity. This has worked great. Why have I had to fix more than once you may be thinking? There is a connection on both halves of the seat. Each time I only have fixed the broken half. I should get smart and do all while in there. I just figured that they weren't broke so don't fix them. I didn't want to cause any more problems. Also - the mesh that is soldered to is long enough to pull and get more.

Let me know if you need schematics or any other help. I have found that the Factory Manual has GREAT schematics and worth the $100 or so spent. Don't go to the dealer, the only thing that they want to do is replace the entire seat cushion - for a hefty price.

To answer some of your questions. One of the wires is a feedback from the seat to shut on and off the heater. In low and high you will measure 12 volts. The only difference is in low setting, the heater will cycle off earlier in high setting the heater will stay on longer. The manual explains how this works and troubleshooting if this is a problem. I don't think this will be your problem though!!

Curtis

Reply to
Curtis Rager

"Curtis Rager @suscom.net>" Joe,