96' grand Cherokee mileage

Hay, I have a 96' grand Cherokee with the 5.2 and i only get 6 mpg in the city and

9 on the highway. what should i do to improve the mileage?
Reply to
Jason88

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Well, you dont post any modifications you might have made to it, so in more or less order of probability try these:

  1. Remove the 10 pounds of lead from your right shoe.

  1. Unlatch the parking brake.

  2. Catch the neighborhood kid siphoning all your gas.

  1. Try driving downwind/downhill every now and then.

  2. Take it out of low range.

Something is seriously wrong.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
Jason88 via CarKB.com

Reply to
Jason88 via CarKB.com

I would try to get the diagnostic codes to see what the computer thinks is wrong, Yes, something 'is' wrong.

A dead O2 sensor can cause this, but this should also set a code.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > It's totally stock
Reply to
Mike Romain

Have you tried the usual suspects yet, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air cleaner? Air up your tires, check everything. I had a '97 Ram Van three quarter ton with this engine and it got way better mileage than that. What kind of 4wd system do you have? Do you think something could be wrong in the transmission or transfer box?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Uh, fixing it would be a good start.