96 Dodge van

I have a question regarding my 96 Dodge van.

There is a large difference between the city and highway mileage. The vehicle gets around 20 - 21 MPG on the highway but only around 9 - 10 in the city. I'm careful not to be a leadfoot and do follow the speed limits. I just put in a new serpentine belt (it was squeaking), air filter and PCV but that doesn't seem to have done much. The van has about 50,000 miles has a 5.2 motor with automatic transmission.

What else can I check or fix to help bring up the city MPG?

Thanks!

Bed

Reply to
Blue_Eyed_Devil

Well, that depends. what is the air pressure in your tires? this is the most overlooked thing in a vehicle and the greatest contributor to poor gas mileage. The higher the better. so if the door pillar label states 35 psi make sure they are at least at 35. Check your door pillar for the correct psi. And have you installed new spark plugs and wires? how about a fuel filter. all of this can contribute to poor gas mileage. are your brakes dragging? however I do not see you having a problem with your mileage. you are better then average according to fueleconomy.gov which rates city and hiway economy ratings. the show a b1500 van with 5.2 at 13 city and 17 hiway! and one model is 13/14 so you are not doing bad. also maybe get new o2 sensors installed.

Reply to
David

That mileage is not that far off from normal if any. I manage a fleet of Dodge Maxivans, B3500's with 5.9L engines and 3.55 rear gears. Have one 94, 4 96's and 2 2000's. Average MPG for last year overall ranged from 12.7 low to 13.6 high for 96 model. Remember that's overall driving city and highway usually loaded with up to

10 people and luggage.

Reply to
noname

I'll check the tire pressure. The plug wires look good to me but it's easy to install new plugs and wires.

Where are the o2 sensors and is it something that I can replace myself?

I was also concerned about the gas filter. I think the filter is located in the gas tank along with the pump. That would be a difficult project for me to perform.

Most of my driving is in the city and with gas prices these days I was hoping that I might get some improvement.

Thanks for your advice.

Bed

Reply to
Blue_Eyed_Devil

Most of my driving is in the city and I had hoped that I could bring the MPG up a bit.

Thanks for your information.

Bed

Reply to
Blue_Eyed_Devil

Make sure you keep the tires aired up and keep a clean air filter and good plugs in it.

Reply to
noname