96 ZJ 4wd shift linkage problems

problem is the shift linkage has rusted to the extent that it now bends (rods are no longer thick enough to transfer the select lever motion) when I attempt to shift the select lever into part time full time etc. I have to move the select lever all the way to the Neutral detent just to get Part time. Obviously Low is out of the question. Does anyone know where I can by a decent replacement linkage kit ? As opposed to buying everything seperately from a dealer

Reply to
jqsdcx

I would be checking out the local wreckers for parts like that. I just had an idler pulley go bad and the $tealer wanted over $60.00 for one. I got one for $6.00 from my local u-pull-it (or buy it off the shelf already pulled) wrecker.... I pulled it myself rather than pay someone else to pull it.

There is an adjustment on it too that might have slipped or if you have a snapped engine or tranny mount it will throw it off, but rust is a killer sometimes isn't it....

Mike

Mike Romain

Depending on how much work you want to do, might see about fabricating your own out of steel rod (or stainless) just remember it takes high heat to form stainless properly. If you wind up having to use a dealer try buymopar.com or chryslerpartsdirect.com I've used both of them in the past with very good results.

Reply to
DougW