Stuck in 4L??

Used my 85 CJ7 to pull some downed trees out of my stream. I locked the hubs, put her in 4L and pulled away. No problems. I took it out of 4L (very hard shift) and drove off. Now it drives like it's stuck in 4L.

30MPH in 5th gear. What happened? How do I fix it?
Reply to
Joe

L.W.(ßill)

Obviously not out of 4L. Maybe a shift linkage problem. Can you get it to neutral? There should be four distinct positions 4L, N, 2H, 4H coming from front to back.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Is this an "aw shit" or is it something easy to fix?

Reply to
Joe

It shifts between the 4. The jeep moves in 4H, 4L and 2H but acts like it's in 4L. It definately goes into N as well.

Reply to
Joe

I am not the most experienced transfer case mechanic here, but it certainly sounds as if the box has to come apart to fix whatever ails it. Whether you define that as an "aw shit" or "something easy to fix" depends on your ability and experience. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Been a while since you put it in 4L? You didn't really wail on it to get it out of 4L the first time?

Try this: Put the lever back into the 4L position, lock in your hubs. Back up a ways (20 feet or so) and as you push the clutch in, try pulling the lever back to Neutral. You might have to do this several times before you can get it out of 4L, so do it someplace where you won't back over something. Then try putting it into 2H and see if it works.

If that doesn't work: Pull up the floor plate over the transmission -- the one that the shifter boots are screwed to. You may have to take out your carpeting to find the screws. This should give you access to the transfer case shifter linkage. The transfer case shifter lever should operate two shifter rods, and they move back and forth depending on what range and mode you are shifting to (I don't know if the Dana 300 case has the same wacky wiggly linkage as the Dana 20, if it does it looks like some aborted tavern toy and makes no sense to the eye). The shifter lever is attached to the shifter rods by pins with carter pins holding them in. See if one hasn't wiggled out or sheared off.

Good luck.

[snip]
Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I am thinking Aw Shit too.... :-(

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Lee. I'll check all that out. I did engage 4L and 4H about a month ago to lube all the stuff. I think it was a tough shift out of 4L.

Reply to
Joe

That is likely right, my D300 was two hands, passenger out of the way and all my 200 lb on it to get the bugger out sometimes before I cleaned and greased the shafts with new seals to boot.

If the pin sheared in one of the rods, it would be in 2 WD or anything low!

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

So with a sheared pin I'd be able to shift between 4H, 4L, N and 2H but it would really not go into 4H or 2H (it really feels like it's stuck in 4L)? This could be as easy as replacing a pin (I wish it wasn't dark out!)

Reply to
Joe

I believe so. That is why you can buy twin stick kits for them, one stick/rod handles low and high, the other handles the front, neutral, back or all.

The single shifter is on a bar that grabs both shifter rods with a rivet like pin held by a cotter pin in each rod.

Mike

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I'll sleep easier now. I'll check it out tomorrow and post results.

transmission --

Reply to
Joe

I saw something online that showed how this kit is installed. Does anyone have that link?

transmission --

Reply to
Joe

This is a link for a flipped 300 and Tera Low installation.

Enjoy, Pete

Reply to
Pete Weber

Here's a link for the twin sticks:

JimG

Reply to
JimG

I checked the linkage this AM. Everything looks good. I took her out for a spin around the neighborhood to see if it would work today. It did. It now shifts smoothy between 4L, 4H, 2H and N. Which has me wondering what was wrong yesterday???

Reply to
Joe

I would be having a close inspection and clean the linkage up.

It still sounds like one of the shift rods isn't tracking right with the shifter. Could just be a bent pin or something silly.

Mike

Joe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yeah, I think it's pretty minor. I just wish I had the time to work on it. The wife just went out for the day and left me with the 11 month old.

jo snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.yahoo.com

Reply to
Joe

Reply to