ZJ vs. XJ - General Opinions and advice wanted

I'm a long time YJ owner, and need something bigger. I've been looking around at 4.0L ZJs and XJs . Most everything in my price range has higher miles, which doesn't necessarily bother me. I've had 2 YJs with over 150K each and the 4.0 is probably the most reliable engine I've ever been around.

Basically I'm getting a mixed bag of opinions regarding the ZJ. A few people say they are plenty reliable, but I'm hearing a lot of stories of transfer case/transmission problems & electrical gremlins galore. Also what is a typical MPG for a 4.0L ZJ. I'm hearing of reports of 12mpg to 18mpg.

Pretty much everything I'm hearing from XJ owners is that they are basically bulletproof and pretty much rock solid. Take care of it and you can drive it forever. Weighs less than the ZJ, so better power and better mileage.

So in additions to general opinions, is there anything specific in a ZJ that I should look for. Is it the quadratrac transfer case that is the bad one? How do you identify whether you've got this case?

Reply to
Les

The problems come with the doo dads, gee gaw, and bling bling on the upscale ZJ models.

The NP249 AWD transfer case is a troublesource, restrict your search to the nv242 SelecTrac

That being said the ZJ offer superior ride and handling to the XJ

If you get an XJ look for a model with the NV242 SelecTrac transfer case. While it is a bit inferior to the nv231 (when in part time 4WD) its ability to use full time 4WD make it a better choice in my poor opinion.

Both models can be customized for off-road use, the XJ has a far better choice of options and would be superior too boot.

The later XJs with the 4 liter engine are stronger and, perhaps, easier to maintain the older 4.2 liters.

What do you plan to do with it?

Reply to
billy ray

The ZJ sometimes came with the aluminum cased "Dana 44". These are a total POS, not suited to speed bumps at the mall, let alone anything resembling off road.

Reply to
jeff

Basically bells and whistle issues. Electric windows and what not?

Is there an easy way to identify the 2?

Gee I feel kinda dumb now, but could you embellish a bit more. I read something about that on a different site, and was a little confused. What is the difference between the part time and full time selections on the 242? It still has a 2wd selection, right? When I hear the term full time 4wd I think all wheel drive, with no 2wd setting.

I will only be looking at 97 and up XJs, so the 4.2 need not apply.

Daily Driver. Maybe a 2" Budget Boost to accommodate some 31s that I have in my garage. Not much wheeling. I'll be keeping the YJ for all that jazz.

Reply to
Les

I'll definitely keep an eye out for that. On the other hand scrap aluminum is at an all time high :)

Reply to
Les

A 249 has three positions on the transfer case shift lever. 4 hi, neutral, and 4 low.

A 242 has five: 2 hi, 4 part time, 4 full time, neutral, and 4 low.

A 231 has four: 2 hi, 4 part time, neutral, and 4 low.

The 249 is an AWD transfer case with a troublesome viscous coupler to divert power between the front and rear axles. The 231 is a bit stonger than a 242 (marginally, depending on opinion), but lacks the full time 4wd setting that can be used on dry pavement.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

My quick 2 cents, the ZJ is great if you want more luxery and a V8 but that's the only thing recommending it.

The XJ on the other hand is arguably one of the most well designed all-purpose utility vehicles ever... It's light, reliable the 4.0 has plenty of power, good MPG ( mid 20's highway MPG compares to most V6 cars... a Toyota Camery V6 only gets 1 or 2MPG better) plenty of room and they're damn cheap, I mean they are just dirt cheap right now.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

The name of the transfer case is usually on plate attached to the shifter bezel. There are others, I haven't uploaded them recently.

For general intents and purposes* the part time of the Command Trac (nv231) and the part time of the SelecTrac (nv242) is the same.

*The part time on the nv231 is a bit superior in limited applications, my opinion is I would rather have the ability to have a true 4WD anytime than the slight off-road edge. (I've had both TCs)

Reply to
billy ray

More the whatnot..... the automatic temperature control is troublesome and costs about $1000 to fix ($2 parts, $998 labor)

The differences were described in another post but I will add that the nv242 (SelecTrac) is a true 4WD, the nv249 (and later 147 and 247s) are AWD where the majority of power goes to the rear wheels and power is sent to the front when the vehicles wants to.... you really have limited control.

With the nv242 you select 2WD or 4WD yourself. In addition the transfer case is gear and chain driven not the gerorotator pumps and clutches

I would opt for the ZJ given that criteria.

FWIW: with the most recent purchase I intended to get a newer XJ or a couple year old ZJ and ended up with a WJ because it was in good shape and the price was right.

Reply to
billy ray

I had a '96 ZJ for a long while and was very happy with it. It needed no repairs that were out of the ordinary for a Jeep (radiator, fuel pump, sway bar links).

Mine had all the scary options that people complain about:

Full time 4wd: Never had a problem. Aluminum Dana 44: Never had a problem (and I towed with it a lot). Automatic Trans: Never had a problem (and I towed with it a lot, but I installed a shift kit). All power options: Almost never had a problem - driver seat heater quit and the memory mirrors were funky.

If you get a ZJ, get a V8. The mileage and reliability is the same as the I6 but it has much more power. With the tires at max inflation, I could hit 22mpg on the highway. Average mileage was 18-20. I'd also recommend a Limited over a Laredo since the used prices are nearly the same and you get more gizmos to play with.

-rev

Les wrote:

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Les proclaimed:

One problem with the ZJ is the auto climate controls and associated stuff...if that ever goes out, the labor costs are horrid. Some folks never have trouble, some do.

The ZJ is more aero than the YJ, but kinda like comparing s sloped brick to a brick. I've never gotten as bad as 12 mpg unless I am offroad in lower range for long. Around town with fairly moderate hotrodding I get in the 14 range. This is on streets and mixed expressways where you can run it up to 45-50 and get the torque converter locked up nicely. For freeway cruising at speeds from 65-80, I get about 20-22 depending on gas brand, heat, and time of year [lower in winter]. Only non-factory mod is a cat back.

Except as the speed goes up the better body shape of the ZJ helps. A bit. The ZJ is pretty light as well.

Depends on what you plan to do with it. You can get the part time 4 wheel drive which is arguably better for mileage and still available when you need it. This one has 2 hi, 4 hi,

4lo positions. Or you can get the full time which has only 4 high and 4 low. I get the 14-22 mpg with the full time.

The ZJ can be turned into a good dual use machine, put some Edelbrock or Ranch adjustables on it and you have a fairly decent highway machine that still can go offroad to a good portion of the trails that the more capable wranglers can go--and get back to the road at the end.

Reply to
Lon

On my '93 ZJ the bezel doesn't mention the name of the t-case. However, the sun visor does. ;)

The part time on the 231 should behave exactly like the part time on the

242. It may be slightly beefier but the performance should be identical.
Reply to
SBlackfoot

FWIW, I've beaten the daylights out of my Quadratrack (249) and found it quite capable on loose dirt and switchbacks. Lack of proper ground clearance (and skid plates) keeps me off the rocky bits. Later models (I think) have a low range lock. Mine is limited slip in both high and low.

Reply to
DougW

'96 and up 249s lock up in 4 low.

They'd be a good transfer case if it wasn't for the viscous coupler. When they go out it's an expensive repair.

Reply to
SBlackfoot