97 TJ Engine Skipping Chugging When Damp

Hello,

I have had a problem come up lately with my 97 TJ. Anytime it has rained fairly hard or it has been very humid and damp my engine has a hard time moving. IT chugs and skips when I hit the gas it makes it worse. Once I get going a little bit or leave it sitting for about 5-10 minutes running before I take off it is better.

At first it only did it when it rained really hard.. Now it has gotten worse and does it whenever it gets damp.. Which is quite often here the water/dampness from the ocean can cause everything to be wet in the morning and my TJ engine does not like it!

Thanks! Shawn

Reply to
epetrill

FrankW

You might consider running some fuel treatment through it too in case you have condensation in the fuel tank. Never hurts to do that a couple of times a year anyway.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

That is what it sounds like.. It is getting condensation in the fuel in the mornings when it is damp. Once the engine warms up and gets going down the road I am fine.. So it seems I must find out how condensation is getting into my fuel.

Thanks!

Reply to
epetrill

Condensation in the gas doesn't go away when the engine warms up. It happens from running on empty all the time.

Your distributor cap and rotor are the 'most' likely problem with a bad plug wire next.

To check the spark plug wires for leaks, I open the hood in the dark and spray mist the wires with water when the engine is running. If your wires are bad, you will see sparks.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

I'd bet Ign. wires. Wait til its dark and damp, start it up with the hood open and watch the lightshow. If no lightshow, pop the distributor cap and look for a hairline crack in it. WD40 can displace moisture in a pinch. So can Either with EXPLOSIVE results if not let to dry and dissapate.

Reply to
djdave

Sparkplug wires. I had that same problem, only worse, on my trusty Cherokee Chief about 15 years ago. A new plug wire set was a complete cure, and no problems since. I change them more often now :).

Reply to
Hootowl

"Mike Romain" wrote To check the spark plug wires for leaks, I open the hood in the dark and spray mist the wires with water when the engine is running. If your wires are bad, you will see sparks.

Hey! That's a neat idea! I've never heard it before, but if I ever need to, I'll give it a try!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

"Mike Romain" wrote Condensation in the gas doesn't go away when the engine warms up. It happens from running on empty all the time.

I've gotten water in my tank from cheap gas too. I always run on the top 3/4 of a tank... usually the top half.

It was just a thought though.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Just curious, how do you always run on the top 3/4 tank? I equate that to running about 50 miles, then filling up again. Do you have peasants that follow you and then top you off all the time? :)

Reply to
ULB

Me too!!!

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Hi Shawn

I agree with the others. And I think it is time you did a major tuneup. I think it would be wise to fix the problem before you drive though a big puddle and stall the engine in a very inconvenient place.

I would start with the plug wires, cap and rotor. It could be a bad spark plug, but not as likely unless you have some weird aftermarket plugs.

While you are at it change the fuel and air filters. Always use OEM or OEM quality parts. And you are best to swap one thing at a time so you don't start the troubleshooting process again after installing new parts. It would be a good idea to check the pcv system at the same time. You didn't mention oil in the air filter, but checking the filter will tell you the state of your pcv.

I have had this exact problem twice before. Yes, I admit it took me 2 failures to realize that cheap spark plug wires are a total waste of time and money unless you plan to sell the vehicle within a month. Good parts are a good investment, more so when you are on a tight budget.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill