97 TJ Cut off and Wont Start Now..

My Jeep cut off going around a corner this morning on my way to work and will not restart now? We have had a lot of rain and humidity lately and it has a hard time starting when it rains alot.. Chugs.. Dont know if that is related ? but I thought it was worth mentioning. Any suggestions on what would cause it to do this. I was on about mile

24 of my 25 mile drive to work and bam it just shut off!! now warning or anything. Now it will turn over but it just wont fire up and start.. :( TIA for the help/suggestions..

SP

Reply to
spetrill

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

someone with a Jeep 4.0 had a problem with the wiring to their 02 sensor. It shorted causing a fuse to blow for the fuel pump. Make sure no wiring is burnt near your exhaust! check your distributor wiring too since that is your Camshaft Position Sensor which could also cause a problem starting on your Jeep.

Can you get any DTCs to flash or read?

compression fuel spark

something ain't right!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

79263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...
Reply to
spetrill

Cherokees that are older than your TJ won't throw codes if the CPS goes bad because the computer doesn't know that the engine is turning at all. I would guess the same would be true for your TJ.

messagenews:ro7em.79263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Ok.. I changed that (CPS) and my oil at the same time.. no when I try to start I just get a click..!! argh.. Battery is good.. but I had to unhook the starter cables to get to the oil filter? anyhow could I have shorted the starter or something.. TIA

Shawn

em.79263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

spetrill

Just a click and no sound of the starter? In that case it could be the starter solinoid is dead. you should at least get the engine to crank.

Did you connect the starter wire? Thin wire that runs to the relay center. The only small post on the starter.

Autozone, Pepboys and a few others will test the starter and solinoid. You can do it with just a jumper as well.

12V to the small post will energize the solinoid and crank the engine. Watch the belt and fan! A few have learned there are bad places to rest your hands or other body bits. :)

Disconnect the coil primary (thin wire) so the engine won't accidently start.

More info is out there, just google "starter solinoid test"

Reply to
DougW

That's incorrect.

messagenews:ro7em.79263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

Reply to
bllsht

7em.79263$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

m...

Bill thanks!! That did solve my problem.. Not sure what was going on after I installed it.. I just disconected the wires to battery and starter / cleaned them up and tried again!! Started right up!! Thanks for the CPS tip!!!

Reply to
spetrill