97 TJ Under WarrantyStill ????

Hello all. I have a 1997 TJ. Someone told me that the entire exhaust system is under warranty. Is this true? I know the catalytic converter is but the whole thing from header to tail pipe? It has 73,000 miles on it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Brian Tanksley

Reply to
Briantanksley

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Briantanksley proclaimed:

In states that follow California emissions regs, those components that can affect emissions are required to have a longer warranty but that warranty doesn't last forever and doesn't cover anything like a tailpipe. Headers, catalytics yes, but only up to if I recall, 80K miles. Most states post this info fairly prominently on their websites.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
mic canic

My Catalytic is under warranty Bill. I found out today. 8 years or 80,000 miles. My headder is really rusted though and they can only replace the catalytic by bolting it on under Chrysler warranty. That's what they told me. It's too rusted to simply bolt on a new Cat. If the header was covered, they could do it. Anyone know for sure if the header is covered? These guys said it wasn't but they weren't really honest acting guys. ;-)

Brian

Reply to
Briantanksley

Briantanksley proclaimed:

What state are you in?

This sounds somewhat bogus...as in California, for example, the header is an emissions component and under the same warranty as the catalyst. I'd expect the dealer to know this, as they informed me of this on the first service check...and replaced both components totally free.

Reply to
Lon

I'm in Indiana.

Brian

Reply to
Briantanksley

Reply to
Dave Sturgeon

Dave Sturgeon did pass the time by typing:

Cat only.

80,000 miles by federal emissions law and slightly longer in the Peoples Republic of California.

Off the top of my pointy head:

Cat == $100 installed most places Cat-back, depends on the brand 40-200 Exhaust header, depends on brand but figure about 50-200

Reply to
DougW