$900 for Mazda Protege exhaust?

I priced a direct fit exhaust system for my 2000 Mazda Protege.

Direct fit means it is what the factory uses....designed to fit ONLY my car

Cost is $900 thru Mazda dealer

Is that out of line?

Any 3rd party mechanics out there that can do a direct fit cheaper?

I live abt 2 hrs north of St Louis so its not a bad drive to go there if needed

Reply to
me

Are they wanting to replace the entire exhaust system? If so, then $900.00 might not be out of line, but it is likely that the problem lies solely with the muffler, the catalytic converter, resonator pipe, etc.

I have never had to replace an entire exhaust system at once except when upgrading from the header/manifold back to the muffler.

Since it is out of warranty, I would find a good exhaust shop and take it there. The problem might be a lot less expensive to fix and you are at least getting a second opinion.

Lanny can probably recommend a good exhaust/muffler shop for you in St. Louis.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Well I'm not sure just yet

But car has 105k on it and never had ANY exhaust work done

It makes a wired cricket like sound that I've been told are some internal baffles that have rotted away

have any idea what it might be?

Reply to
me

I had a '97 protege, and I had to replace a couple of different pieces of the exhaust which cost around $400. The mechanic I went to got on the phone to call for parts, and when he was quoted the price said "it can't be." It has to do with the pieces only fitting the Protege.

Reply to
xmmx

The local shops around here will custom build exhaust systems for a lot less than that!

It's likely that a muffler/resonator replacement by such a shop is really all that you need.

On the other hand, salt on the roads may cause the whole exhaust system to need replacement.

Reply to
Chuck

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you're looking for a cheap solution, there's a junk yard in Litchfield (probably about 1/2 the way to St Louis for you) that replaced the muffler on our Astro minivan a some years back for about $60 iirc. Unfortunately, if you want to find it, the best directions I could give you would be the directions we were given: "go to any gas station in Litchfield and ask where the junk/auto salvage yard is that does mufflers".. it worked for us, of course that was about 10 years ago. Either way tho, it seems rather rediculous that they'd want to replace the entire exhaust system when, like others have said, it's probably just a single component w/ a problem.

For comparison/perspective, I recently had a catalytic converter replaced under warranty for my Subaru. The cost for just the cat, was listed at over $1000. And of course, with typical dealer proficiency, they half- assed the job and I had to pay my regular mechanic to fix their screw-up. Morale of the story, find a good independant mechanic, he'll probably be cheaper, and you'll increase your chances that the job will be done right.. the first time.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Hughes

OK