97 XJ radiator

Replaced the water pump today, and noticed some grunge build upon the radiator near the top hose. Can anybody recommend a replacement radiator dealer for my 97 XJ w/air? Has anybody had experience with Radiatorbarn.com? Dave

Reply to
Dave

I got a rad from radiator barn for my '00 TJ when I was having an overheating problem on the trail and no problems since. I didn't think the rad was the problem with the overheating, but I decided it would have been a good time to get rid of the OEM plastic-tanked one. Changed out the thermostat (likely cuplrit) and fan clutch at the same time.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Be sure to use the right coolant when you refill..

Reply to
billy ray

D-C was still using the good old fashioned green stuff in '00. Which reminds me I need to change it out before it gets too cold out...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

The old fashioned green stuff is fine for any vehicle that came with it although DC recommends you upgrade to the new stuff because it offers better anti-corrosives.

As far as I know only Valvoline's Zerex Brand still makes the old green formula and the new G-05 formula coolant.

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
davebz1a

Valvoline's Zerex is the only company (that I am sure of) that still makes the old spec "American Green" and the new spec (G-05)

Nothing made by Prestone meets either spec according to industry publications. Peak *might* make a version of "American Green' but they refuse to divulge the inhibitors on that particular product and since they promote some of their other coolants containing ingredients for DC (and Ford & Mercedes) vehicles that are strictly banned by DC and Ford and Mercedes I would take the position that if they lie to you about half their products they are probably lying about the other half as well....

Note: Just because a coolant may happen to be the color green does not make it 'American Green' which is the coolant used in American cars for decades. It uses IAT inhibitors.

Prestone and most Peak coolants use OAT (=DexCool) inhibitors. OAT containing coolants are strictly forbidden by DC, use will void the warranty on any associated part.

G-05 spec uses HOAT inhibitors and is the current DC spec.

I got my G-05 at PepBoys, it is also carried at NAPA. Most places in my area only carry Prestone.

You may also want to flush your cooling system before you install the new parts.... I like the Flush-n-Fill' kits, they make doing a superior cleaning job easier and faster.

No matter what brand you buy get the coolant concentrate and pick up some distilled water at the grocery on the way home. Minerals in tap water promote corrosion.

Reply to
billy ray

I have taken to putting only "Honda Genuine" coolant in my Hondas, even though the older one came with "American Green" when it was new. The new (blue) stuff comes pre-mixed and they only take a gallon for the entire cooling system. And unlike Jeeps, when you pull the radiator drain all the coolant comes out. I figure everyone is lying here, and the only recourse is to stick to the manufacturer's change interval recommendations, even though in principle one shouldn't have to. Of course Hondas use a lot more aluminium than old Jeeps.

I remember talking to a body shop owner thirty years ago about his '52 GMC wrecker. Claimed it still had the original coolant in it. Someday, I'm going to change the coolant in my '95 Wrangler, although I will probably have cause later on to regret it.

The advantage of pre-mix, even though you usually pay more, is that you don't have to remember to get distilled water, and you won't make the mistake of using Evian instead. Remember looking inside the radiator cap, and seeing whitish deposits around the ends of the radiator tubes? That's tap water.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton