97 ZJ ?

How long did you run the engine for? Did you get power steering fluid on any of the pulleys? Is the belt routed properly? Is anything touching the belt? Are the tensioner and idler pulleys good?

HTH,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I just replaced my Power steering pump. Everything went smoothly, but when I start it the NEW serpentine belt squeals like a stuck pig. Any thoughts? Belt tension seems to be proper, about 1/2 deflection.

?????

Shawn

Reply to
shawn

I am thinking too loose. Even if you got oil on it, it shouldn't squeal just sitting there idling. Important questions, was it squealing before replacing the pump, why did you replace the pump? Could the steering box be bad? There is a bypass valve or some sort of gizmo in the steering box, to limit the pressure built up. If this is sticking, you could have too much pressure, too much load on the pump, ergo squealing. You could have a bad pump too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

shawn proclaimed:

On the belt run between the power steering pump and the idler going toward the A/C compressor, the tension on a brand new belt should be about 200 pounds. That should just barely deflect the belt. Pretty sure 1/2 inch is waaay too loose. That is the most likely culprit. Misaligned belt is the second most likely--either will make it squeal like a pig with an ingrown toenail.

Reply to
Lon

Belt's loose likely. 1/2" is a 'lot' of play on a serpentine belt.

Mike

Mike Romain