97TJ.blinkers quit working

emergency flashers work but the blinkers are dead when I hit the turn signal. Recently ran the battery down unrelated to this. Are the blinkers on a fuse?

Reply to
Calvin8tor

All electrical circuits are fused. If your hazards work, according to my schematic, the fuse is good. TJ also shares a common flasher, again according to my schematic. Do the turn signals light but not flash, or do they not light at all?

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Out of blinker fluid? ;-)

Seriously I would try swapping the flasher unit with the emergency flasher unit to see what happens.

Mike

Calv>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Could be a side-effect of a spun muffler bearing?

/Peter

Reply to
PeterP

Common flasher unit and fuse?

No more fuse link wires protecting the alternator and headlights?

I didn't think Chrysler could have screwed them up that bad.....

The emergency flashers should have their own flasher unit and their own fuse so do the signal lights.

On the CJ7 and the Cherokee the turn signals are with the reverse light and rear window defroster fuse and the emergency flashers are with the clock and brake light fuse.

Mike

Jerry Newt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I suppose I have once again been too literal for the group. When I say that all circuits are fused, that is a generic statement meant to cover fuses, ckt breakers, and fusible links. They all fuse the ckt. With few exceptions, one being the starter, all circuits on a vehicle are fused.

So far as the flasher goes, like I said, that was according to the schematic that I have, which I would happily pass along to the Calvin8tor if he so wishes. My first impulse was a bad flasher, too, until I saw that. Maybe my schematic sucks. Dunno.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

If you've used your hazards lately, is the switch all the way over into the 'off' position on the steering column?

Reply to
Tirya

I hear that one.. Took me 15min of messing with mine before I moved the switch just slightly to the left again to get the signals to work.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Hupe