'98 TJ- Help replacing cat

'98 TJ, 6-cyl, 5-spd

My cat has a very annoying rattle in it. Bought a new one that has the omplete exhaust pipe already attached upstream of the cat. I was able to remove the two bolts on the TJ between the header and exhaust pipe. I also managed to get the rusted bolt off the clamp holding the muffler to the back of the cat. But still can't budge releasing the cat from the muffler. Not a helluva lot of room to twist and pull. Any good advice on this?

Reply to
GTK

Most muffler places just cut the pipe off and fabricate a coupler...... time is money

Reply to
billy ray

Once the u-bolt has crimped the two pipes together you need an air chisel to get them apart. The outer pipe has to be stretched or cut on an angle and peeled off the inner pipe, it will not slip off.

Usually it is fastest to just cut the sucker and add a 4" 'butt' coupling with two new clamps.

Mike

Mike Romain

I managed to get my old cat off with an angle grinder for the big work and a diamond cutting wheel on the dremmel for where the grinder would not fit. Took a while to cut and peel pipe back.

Reply to
DougW

Yes, the sawsall will put the cut into the pipes. You need a good blade. I have managed to just cut the one outer pipe on the angle to start the peel with my sawsall when I had room to use it.

Mike

Mike Romain