Steering problem! Please help!

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this? I just bought a year old Vauxhall Astra SRi (15k miles) and have a bit of an issue with the steering. Basically the steering wheel seems to 'wobble' around a lot whenever I run over a small dip/pot hole or even with slight cambers on the road. This happens at all speeds and when I drive onto the kurb outside my house the wheel turns harshly to the left (or right if I park the other way round).

The garage are reluctant to have a look it as they are saying that it's because of the sporty suspension/handling but this does not sit well with me at all, especially as sometimes it feels difficult to keep the car on the road!!!!

I have taken it in to have the tracking done and all wheels balanced so I know it's not that. Any ideas what it could be?

Much appreciated!

Smitho

Reply to
SMITHO77

Put it back to standard wheels and suspension and it will be fine.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sorry should have made myself clearer - everything is Vauxhall standard - no mods have been made.

Cheers,

Smitho

Reply to
SMITHO77

With stiffer suspension and tyres, you get more road feedback, which means the car will be more affected by changes in the road surface.

You say you got the tracking done. Was it just a bog standrad front wheel check, or a full four wheel geometry check?

Without testing the car, it's hard to say if the handling problems are excessive or not, but provided a full geometry check has been done, then it's most likely just how the car handles.

Reply to
moray

Thanks for the responses. I got all four wheels aligned (well, that's what I paid for). Looking around on the net it looks like I'm getting the symptons of worn ball joints - any ideas if this is likely on a car which has hardly done any miles???

Thanks,

SMITHO77

Generally no. Best bet is go & test drive a new one at a different dealers & see what it's like.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for the responses. I got all four wheels aligned (well, that's what I paid for). Looking around on the net it looks like I'm getting the symptons of worn ball joints - any ideas if this is likely on a car which has hardly done any miles???

Unlikely if it's only done 15k.

Reply to
moray

possibly knackered wheel bearings , this might sound sillly but are te wheel nuts tightened up correctly

Reply to
steve robinson

No it's not, but bigger wheels put more stress on them. I dunno what the set-up is on your car, bushes vs balljoints but it sounds as if something there is loose. If so, an alignment won't help.

Having said that, big wheels do increase the pulling effect of the wheel on the steering as you go over stuff.

Reply to
adder1969

No it's not, but bigger wheels put more stress on them. I dunno what the set-up is on your car, bushes vs balljoints but it sounds as if something there is loose. If so, an alignment won't help.

Having said that, big wheels do increase the pulling effect of the wheel on the steering as you go over stuff.

If the alignment check is done properly, they should check for any abnormal movement before carrying out the check.

Reply to
moray

They never have done whenver I've had mine done. If you go in and say "it's doing this can you look at it" then I'd have thought they'd have at least done a basic check for wear, not least becuase it could get them more work plus the alignment.

Reply to
adder1969