Steering noise in 04 TJ

So I take my week old TJ to the dealership, and they say the noise i hear in the steering column when i steer is 'normal and characteristic of jeeps".....

So pray tell, at low speeds, does your steering column make any noises? If you are not accostumed to a jeep, what would you hear? Does anybody else have a 'noisy' steering column?

Reply to
Ed Roper

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I wouldn't either. My steering column is silent.

Dave Milne

Ed,

Maybe its a new feature? My 01 TJ has no such noise.

benito

01 TJ 76 CJ
Reply to
John Benito

count me among those with no understanding, my 03 is quiet like a mouse (well, the steering column is anyway). n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

No noise in my '02 TJ steering, but I do have a leak in the steering gear box that I am upset about. Only 2 years, 9 months old with about 41,000 miles. Out of warranty, of course.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

My '04 TJ is silent unless you turn it all the way to the steering stops like most vehicles do with power steering.

GK

Reply to
GK

Watch the fluid level and flush the system every now and then. Both a low level and contaminated fluid will cause noise. That noise at the stops is the internal bypass valve. It's not that strong so don't run it with the wheels full lock for a long time.

A partial flush can be done by draining the reservoir and refilling with fresh fluid. I do this once a year.

A full flush is loads more tricky but is fairly easy. You just take the belt off, put the return hose into a bottle, cap the reservoir port, then put fluid in as you manually crank the pump. (keep in mind some will remain in the steering box unless someone turns the wheel from side to side and that is a real pain. I did this when replacing the header since everything was off anyhoo. :)

After your done you could add a hydraulic filter to the return line. That will catch any crud and help keep your system clean. Also easy since the return side is low pressure and fairly low flow.

Reply to
DougW

Ok, screw the dealership I bought from....I'm taking it to a different service department to have a second opinion...

If they say its 'normal' i'll tell 5-10 other owners say they are full of crap

Reply to
Ed Roper

My '99 makes a squeeking noise when the temp is below ~60. Something to do with the rubber cover where the column comes through the firewall (I think). The noise stops after the Jeep warms up.

Reply to
Carl Graham

That is what they make the soft top for when it is down everything is noisy or just turn up the radio.

Reply to
HarryS

If they say it's normal, ask to check out another '04 TJ on the dealer's lot.

Tom

Reply to
mabar