Car pulls to right

Hello

The steering wheel pulls to the right on my car.

If I hold the steering wheel centered the car will drive straight.

If I let go of the steering wheel at high or low speeds the steering wheel turns a bit to the right, and stays there, this is it's natural position.

I've had the car aligned and then the alignment rechecked and the problem still exists.

I guess its time to check the front suspension? Control arms? Bushings? Brake caliper?

Any ideas?

The car is a 1990 Lexus ES 250, basically a Toyota Camry

Reply to
Tube Audio

Because it's been aligned, before you start wrenching, swap the front wheels from left to right and see whether the pulling changes sides or goes away.

A good alignment shop should have advised you if they detected any wear in front suspension parts.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

This may be caused by the camber on the road. Most streets slope to the right, for drainage, and any vehicle with wide, low-profile tires will follow the slope.

Try driving in the left lane of a freeway where the camber should be to the left, and see which way the car pulls.

My GS300 with the factory-supplied 225/17-50 Dunlops (summer, not all season) pulled viciously with any road camber. Changing to 215/17-55 Bridgestone tires cured this problem, and made the steering much lighter and more responsive. Overall car handling and traction does not seem to be compromised with this change.

Reply to
Jay Somerset

Its a safety factor! If it veered to the left, it would put you into oncoming traffic. So they have built this into the car to keep you safe. Now the amazing part is that if you buy an English version, you do have a tendency to veer to the left. So if you ever think of buying a "gray" Lexus, you should be carefull to have the steering changed before you bring it into the US. Of course you should also change the numbers and writting on the dash from English to American, also a safety factor to prevent spendign too much time translating. And then there are of course the cars from other countries. No wonder it costs so much to get a Lexus worked on! The Mercedes does not have all those fancy options and it costs less to get it worked on. So you see, you really have stumbled into a very serious issue here. I think that maybe you should bring this to the attention of the US congresss and senate as they work out the rules for how American cars should be built after the loan. So do call your congresman and senator immediately and direct their attention to this all important matter, unless you live in Illlinois, of course. And if you do live in Ill, just wait a few days until somebody has come up with the right amount of money to replace Hussein Obama, and then contact them. Of course maybe BO has some money left over that he has not committed to other causes, and he can figure out a way to use it to get a friend appointed. Well, good luck with the government !

Reply to
mcbrue