99 WJ stuck in 4wd

My parents 99 WJ was towed behind their motorhome, after disconnecting it from the motorhome, they can't get it out of 4wd. (towed in neutral, trying to get it to 2wd) I have told them to look at the vacuum line that is on the front axle to see if has collapsed or something, not letting the servo to disconnect the front axle, but said that it is fine. I have told them to try and drive it backwards for about 25 feet to see if they can get it to disengage. They recently had a new towbar installed on the front of it. They also had new tires put on the front, 235/75/16 on back are

235/70/16, is there too much of a difference on tire size to make difference? BTW, they have the NV242 tc, but seems to be stuck in part time by the way that they have described it to me.

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ
Reply to
Kevin in Iowa

Tire size difference front to back will make no difference in 2Hi but they should stay out of 4WD as one is a 29 inch tire and the other a 29.9 inch tire. If they are stuck in 4Hi Part Time their transfer case shifter may need adjustment.

Reply to
billy ray

The WJ doesn't use a front axle decoupler like the XJ Cherokee did -- the Grand Cherokee axles are permanently engaged and turning the front diff. Having said that, I'd try driving in reverse for several hundred feet to see it that might "unwind" the drive train and let them shift the transfer case.

That difference in tire size will positively roast the viscous coupling in a V8 QuadraDrive WJ -- not sure how it might affect whatever transfer case comes with the 4.0L engines.

-- Russ Panneton snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Nederland, CO "Too bad ignorance isn't painful"

Reply to
Sparky