A list of TJ must-do maintenance items for newbies?

I solved a case of "Death Wobble" that could have been prevented if I had rotated the darn tires every 3000 miles. Which is in the Factory service manual. But not in the specific schedules. Even had I read that, I probably would NOT have followed it because I would not have grasped that because of the short wheelbase the consequences of not rotating them often and consistently are severe...

Now I grasp it. Several hundreds of dollars later...

OK. To start the list of TJ musts, we have

  • rotate the tires every 3000 miles. Period.

and the explanation for WHY this is critical is above.

What other vital non-intuitive steps must be made to take care of a TJ? What else do newbies consistently screw up?

--doug

Reply to
damgoodespresso

rotate tires at every oil change that is what i was told from a tire guy.

Reply to
wraithyjeep

Actually it's every other oil change or 6000 miles. 70,000 miles of doing this produced perfectly even wear on my last set. Other maintenance that gets missed is greasing all 7 zerc fittings every 6000 miles (quick oil change places don't even know where they are), and the

4wd service which is diffs and transfer case fluids. Don't forget the tranny fluid too. The schedual for these is in the manual.

Rich M

Reply to
Rich M

Mine did. They blew the boots off all of them.

I'm back to doing my own work now...

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That schedule "works for me" because it's what is written on page 135 of my 1998 TJ owners manual!

And I quote: "Rotation is recommended at 7500 miles if you are following Maintenance Schedule A, and at 6000 mile intrevals if you are following Maintenance Schedule B."

Rich M

Reply to
Rich M

You know what's wierd is that in my 01TJ FSM it does not even mention "when" or even "if" you should change the tranny fluid. Every thing else except the tranny......weird.... I've upgraded to a 05Rubi, haven't got the FSM for it yet. I wonder if it will mention the tranny. Cheers Frank

Rich M wrote: Don't forget the

Reply to
FrankW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Um...what does THAT have to do with tire rotation? Short trips don't have an effect on tire wear! It's a milage based formula, not one based on driving habits!

Reply to
Rich M

They have a recommendation to rotate at oil changes. Driving habits effect the oil change interval (regular-severe service)

Reply to
Billy Ray

Ahh, so everyone should be sure to change the oil in their tires on a severe or normal duty schedule.

Reply to
Lon

I always use synthetic or synthetic blend oil in my tires at every change

Reply to
Billy Ray

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

And the new cross-driled M/S tires.

Reply to
DougW

Kumho Venture AT-825s

I got them for the dealer price through a neighbor.

Reply to
Billy Ray