A question about rim size...

Thanks Mark Sounds like a plan....I`ll give it a try. Thanks Boris

Boris

The brakes are almost identical on the 88 and 86, so are the engines and the engine wiring harness. The Haynes CJ book has the best directions for all that on 'your' Jeep. Their YJ book is more for the later 4.0 setup.

The emergency brake cables are easy to replace, especially with large tires. Room to crawl around. You need to have the rear brakes adjusted properly before doing the cables or the cables will/could end up at the wrong place and things like snapped cables happen.

I doubt the adjusters will work as it is right now, I suspect one is laying in the bottom of the drum jamming the brakes as you come to a stop. I would open that ASAP and look at it.

When the adjuster does work, they are left and right sided, be careful not to mix parts up, you have to hit the brakes in reverse, then in forward to reset the arm, then in reverse again. The shoes have a rocking motion. The adjusters have to be manually set up close the first time or the adjusters won't catch.

The Sears kit for the jack and stands is a good one. I can fit one like it right behind the passenger seat when it is tipped forward. When the seat comes back it locks/jams the jack in place so it can't turn into a missile.

Mike

Boris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yea, I forgot to mention I have LSD on the rear. And diff' damage from a smaller spare is hearsay; many 4-wheel clubs have a "spare tire must be the same diameter as runners" in their required equipment list, is where I heard it.

Maybe it'd be better to say running an open diff' with a smaller tire on one side for long periods of time at high speeds may cause excessive wear on the diff' gears.

Reply to
Mark

Hi Mike Of course it is raining again but I did follow your direction... "you have to hit the brakes in reverse, then in forward to reset the arm, then in reverse again" and it worked (for now) wheel doesn`t lock up anymore. Anyway the Chilton is not very good, but I will have to pull the drums to install the new parking brake cables anyway at least the way Chilton explains/not explains....I`ll see if I can find any cut sheets on line for the brakes. Thanks again I appreciate your help. Boris

Boris

Keep in mind that if the drum has developed a lip, you might have to release the parking brake cable at the T in order to get the drums off.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Boris