CAN protocol?

My '97 ZJ (grand cherokee) has a stamp in the engine bay that reads "Made in Cananda". Does this mean that it has a CAN protocol regarding a OBDII scanner? I'm looking to purchase a scanner, and don't want to buy the wrong one.

Thanks

Reply to
Abby Normal

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

A scanner is a scanner is a scanner Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Ah.....no. OBD II was on all 1996 and newer vehicles (some had it in '94 and '95) CAN protocol started showing up in 2003, must be phased in by 2008. Here's a list:

Jeep on the list so far is 2005 and up GC. Older readers (and many cheap readers) do NOT handle the CAN protocol. The really cheap ones like this are OBD II ONLY
If you want to work on your current equipment, get a plain OBD II scanner. If you want to invest for the future, get one that is both OBD II and CAN compatable.

I have (ok, I borrow it from a buddy)a laptop PC based scan tool that is really nice, you can have several moving graphs at the same time, sit in down in the driver's seat and drive around.

Coasty wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks....