? about jeep

I posted awhile back. I was looking at a 79 cj5 and a willys. I opted to wait. Thanks for all your opinions and to Bill Hughs for the help.

I think I am glad I waited. Just picked up a 1990 Jeep wrangler. It has a

6 cyl, 5 speed. 137k miles. ( I posted pics in the binaries group. Hope they came though. I am using outlook 6)

I got the jeep for $750.00. A local finance company had it up for sealed bid. It was a repo. Hope it was agood buy... It runs and drives., Has a little puff of smoke at startup.

Any recommendations as to what to do first. Is it a good idea to change the rear fluids, tranny fluid. I am sure it has never been changed. ALso, seems like a leak around the valve cover gasket.

Thanks again.

Great group, John

Reply to
John D

Jim85CJ

Try this link. I hate outlook express.

John D

Wow!

Congrats, that is a cool Jeep for a wicked price.

A good fluid change is a good idea.

Mike

John D wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I did some research. Seems in '90 the 4 banger came with the injection and the 6 with the carb.

Reply to
John D

Here is what I found..

The popular Wrangler sport utility debuted in May 1986 to replace the ancient military-style CJ. A fuel-injected, 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine was standard on base and low-budget S Wranglers, as well as those with the Islander and Sahara option groups. A carbureted 4.2-liter inline six was optional on all but the S version and standard on the top-of-the-line Laredo. All 6-cylinder Wranglers could get a 3-speed automatic transmission to replace the usual 5-speed manual gearbox. Part-time 4-wheel drive was standard and both soft and hard tops were available. For 1990, soft-top Wranglers got locks for their half-steel doors. Hardtop versions gained a rear wiper/washer.

Reply to
John D

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sounds like a good deal. Good for you.

That oil leak around the valve cover gasket is probably caused by the crankcase venting system, if there's oil on the air cleaner element then it is the crank case vent. A lot of people jump to the conclusion that it is the rear main seal leaking because it generally runs down the back of the engine. Dunno if your Wrangler's I6 uses the same plumbing as my `89 Cherokee's 4.0 or not but if it is similar it is it probably easiest to simply replace the vacuum harness. The hard hoses plug up and the grommets dry out, crack and leak vacuum.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Again, thanks a million for the comments and ideas.

Reply to
John D