sparkplug wires.

Still diagnosing a bit of a rough idle and got around to the plugs/rotor/cap/etc.

Rotor and cap had signs of arcing and oil spots but no traces of oil in the distributor base. :/ Oh well, replaced them anyway.

All plugs came up with trace carbon and otherwise perfectly normal tips. :) At least with the new header I'm no longer running overly rich.

So, just for grins, ohming out the wires.

Hoo boy, first thought was I f-d up, but the Fluke-87 autoscales.

Plug length resistance ohms/in

0 8 283 35 LOW 1 12 501,000 41,750 HIGH 2 10 105,000 10,500 HIGH 3 15 6,500 433 GOOD 4 14 12,200 871 GOOD 5 10 4,920 492 GOOD 6 13 479,000 36,846 HIGH

Well, that's all over the freeking board now isn't it. :/

Could explain why the last coil died a horrible death. Gonna get a new set o wires tomorow and measure them first. With any luck that will get it all working nice and smooth again. (If it does I'll post a warning about flying livestock.) ^_^

FWIW, they were BOSCH wires, not the cheap ones. So much for "Quality", I'm going back to OEM or at least NAPA Echlyn.

Reply to
DougW

I have had the best results with OEM over the years.

Mike

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sometimes it's hard to get a good contact point on the wire connectors. Any oxidation on them will take away from your measurement. And DON'T touch the probes with your fingers (pinching the meter probes to the wire ends) this will just incorporate your body resistance in to the reading. SOMETIMES this has been a problem for me. (big sweaty salty guy!! haha).

Just a thought.

Reply to
SB

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Went to NAPA and got the Belden wires. (only set they had at the time) ^_^ Oh well, got to admit they are nice wires. Look almost like RG-214 but ohm out like sparkplug wires. Only issue was they didn't quite get the angle boots on at the right rotation, no biggie, hardly any set I've ever used (even OEM) got that right.

On the plus side the idle is now _much_ better but still not quite there yet. At least I'm not hearing stammer at the exhaust. Nice and burbly..

No more burble burble buburble burble, just plain ol burble burble burble burble burble burble.. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Will do. ;)

Got to get me those cross drilled brake lines from kaleco just so I can stop the beast.

Reply to
DougW

I've had idle clean itself up after a few tanks of gas--after the wires were changed. Seems to burn the crud off the plugs or valves.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

JATO, not launch rockets. No brakes. Actually the folks on the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters sorta tried this and discovered that it really wasn't that big a deal, although the rocket boosted vehicle managed to outrun their chase chopper rather easily.

And then there is the Darwin Awards "Lawn Chair Larry" who floated over Long Beach harbor a few years back with a weather balloon propelled lawn chair...

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Generic did pass the time by typing:

That's what I'm hoping for. While in there I pulled all the plugs. Plugs were in perfect condition. The old wires tested out just this side of fubar. My only hope is I didn't eat another coil by waiting three weeks to do the wires, cap, and rotor. ..time will tell..

Just finished up the 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis... man what a PITA. Wires, cap, rotor, plugs, all fubar.. Fairly heavy arcing in the cap itself and one abraded wire. That thing has the most wonky firing order and wire route. Kept messing myself up by thinking Chevy....

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Lawn Chair Larry didn't earn his Darwin Award for the lawn chair stunt. He wasn't so much in the flight lanes, but he was reported by pilots passing by.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Almost comptelely off topic but it does relate to spark plug wires:

Driv> Generic did pass the time by typing:

Reply to
RoyJ

I use dielectric grease on my connections which seems to help that.

Mike

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

Yep.

There was that ONE time I had the old truck running like crap. Popped the hood, looked in and dang if one of the plug wires had popped off.

Reached down to put it back on ....

(did I mention the engine was still running?)

Ranks up there with pissing on an electric fence.

Reply to
DougW