ABS quit working ...Temporarily

Hello... A few days ago, the brake and abs light came on (out of the blue), on my Jeep Liberty. ...I tried the brakes on the slippery snow, but the common "shuddering", normally experienced when the abs is in action, was not apparent. ...The next day, I fired up the Liberty, and while driving down the highway, both lights (out of the blue, again), went out. ......I took the vehicle to the service manager, who told me, after checking things out: "...it was odd to see both sensors for the brakes go at the same time -- but they are working now." ??? ....What could have happened? ...Jon

Reply to
Johnny1000

Johnny1000 did pass the time by typing:

Several possibilities. Salt got into the connector for the sensors and caused a short. (Usually the Scantool will pull that as a sensor failure, but not always.) Or the ABS compuer connector has gotten salt/grime in it. (The scantool will call this all sorts of things from pump failure to sensor failure, reason is it can't diagnose a short in the harness)

First thing to do is pull each connector, clean with contact cleaner (watch your paint, contact cleaner is also good paint stripper) then pack the connector with dilectric grease.

Reply to
DougW

The ABS is computer controlled and anything could knock it out.

The 'Master' brake failure warning light is a different animal!

When that comes on it means pull over and STOP if/while you still can.

It is then tow truck time!

Not, oh well I guess I should have it looked at, it's tow truck time man!

The vehicle is not safe to drive with that light on. Period.

I had a cop totally freak out on me when he saw that read 'master failure' brake light on even though I told him it was all new brakes the day before and the light just didn't get reset because it needed to be manually removed to reset and I just hadn't done it yet. (had a swollen face with an abscessed tooth for an excuse, no go)

He even tested my brake pedal which was up nice and firm and the emergency even worked perfect, no matter.

He wrote me up a ticket for an unsafe vehicle, went and physically removed my license plates and called a tow truck.

That was expensive....

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Any time the ABS light turns on it also turns on the red brake light so no worries there. I am guessing that you got some metal fibers on your sensor (don't know on those if it is in the hub assembly) and that told the computer that you had a bad sensor (that will turn on the light). Then while driving high speeds it was just enough to kinda clean that sensor enough and all the reading went back to normal and the light went off. Again this is just a guess.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Hupe

What a bitch ass policy... I would be for filing a complaint on that one.

What backwards state do you live in anyways??

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Hupe

It's worse than that; Mike lives in Canada.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
mic canic

That was in Toronto Ontario Canada.

Ya I was pissed, the prick was on a beater hunt. He already had 3 other sets of plates in his trunk.

It was an out of province truck and getting it safety certed would have been trouble due to some, well lots of rust holes and the bottom edge of all the box, so I bit the ticket and ran on 10 day temp stickers until I got rid of it.

Rusty vehicles aren't allowed here, so it was a 'heat score' vehicle.

Mike

Jeremy Hupe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

To add insult to injury in the worst of the rust belt and they don't allow rusty cars on the road....

Cops 'look' for rust buckets and if they can find anything....

Mike

Mike Romain

If I had the time and money it would be fun to paint up a vehicle so it looks like a rusted hulk. Painted on body rot would be quite hilarious. A little POR to simulate rust through. And a few tiny cameras to catch all the action for prime-time TV. :)

Reply to
DougW