ABS

Just noticed that the ABS light on the dash does not come on on key on. Manual says it should come on for a few seconds. Light on traction control disable/enable will toggle and I have never seen the 'low traction' lamp on either.

After driving this car for a few weeks now, starting to notice the fine details. (still like it though)

Checked the two ABS fuses under the hood and they are good. Guess, I'll bring it to Saturn for a checkout. Got 2 weeks left on the used car warranty.

Oppie '01 LW300

Reply to
Oppie

If you want to see the low traction light, floor the accelerator from a stop - should induce wheelspin and the car will apply the brakes and light the indicator light (alternatively, any slippery surface will work - sand covered road, mud, snow, etc.)

Reply to
David & Caroline

Another way is to lift the front end, supporting it on jack stands. Put the car in drive and let both wheels spin. Take a log or something and rub it against the back of the tire to slow it down. As the speed of the wheels starts to differ, the ABS should kick in and the low traction indicator should come on.

My son was demonstrating differential action to a friend that they had just put a new set of struts in. Car was still up in the air and in drive with wheels spinning. He grabbed one wheel and hears a few clicks as the ABS kicked in, quickly said some epithet and let go before he got wrapped up in the suspension. First time he had worked on an ABS equipped car. but I digress...

Just on the weight of the ABS check light not going on at startup, looks like I should have it looked at under warranty. Just wondering if anybody else has seen anything similar. Bought the car used and was on lease so lord knows what was messed with. At least got a clean carfax report on it.

Regards, Oppie '01 LW300

Reply to
Oppie

Took the car into Saturn and they wound up replacing and reprogramming the BCM (body control module). Evidently the ABS was working but the communication to the dashboard display was bad. Done under warranty. Life is good.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie