ABS Module on 98 Grand cherokee

My ABS has been coming on imtermittently and occasionally engaging at low braking velocities (10-20MPH) on dry smooth surfaces. I took my jeep in for a checkup, they said the ABS module needs to be replaced. $700 + labor, close to $1000 total.

Can I just have them disconnect the ABS module and expect the brakes to work normally (without ABS)? There are still many cars out there without ABS, so I can live without it.

Do ABS modules go bad on 98's often? Have any of you had to have them replaced? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

The last time I took my jeep in for intermittent ABS problems, they told me the sensors needed adjusting, and adjusted them. 2 days later I took it back, because of the same symptoms. The second adjustment fixed it.

I'm wondering if this is not another adjustment issue this time, and they are mis-diagnosing the problem.

I dont' go off road much- maybe 2 times in 5 years, and it's a casual off-road trip at that. I drive 15 miles each way to work, so I'm not really beating the hell out of my jeep.

thanks for any advice

Reply to
Cappy2112

It would probably be illegal, and might void your vehicle insurance, if you disconnected your ABS. You would be driving a vehicle with a "defective braking system". I would get a second opinion. These guys had to adjust your sensors twice. Maybe there is a better mechanical service in your area, that only has to adjust them once. Even if you do need a new ABS module, the second opinion diagnosis won't be too much, compared with the cost of the module.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That's likely bullshit from some noob that only knows how to read a scantool.

I had the exact same issue and it was due to a bad wheel sensor. Ask them to check the sensors to find out if one is close to being out of spec (or a bit slow).

First thing I would do is clean the ABS computer connector and sensor connectors, then apply some dielectric grease to keep road salt out.

In the 93 you get an abs fault on bumps when the connector starts to get road salt accumulation.

Reply to
DougW