AMC 20 Axle Break

Where will the stock 2 piece axles break if they do? I really just want to know if it will still be towable. Kevin CJ5 warn 8000i, full cage, 35x12.50, 2.5" lift, 1" body

Reply to
CJ5 on 35's

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto - Mine did not "break" rather they just started to spin, and it sheard that little keyway. I actually drove it for a few days before I realized that it was slipping, it felt just like the clutch was going out. No wheel falls off, you still have the front wheel drive option, and you are 100% towable. I now have the 1 piece axle kit installed.

Reply to
Rusted

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT, Bill!

The AMC20's 2-piece axles will spin the hub off the end of the axle. The hub is splined onto the axle, and the splines can strip, twist, or otherwise let go of the hub. When this happens, the vehicle can not be flat towed. Hell, you might even have trouble trailering it, because the tire will fall off.

Having said that, they are very stout, and as good as the D44. It's just taht if they do break, they will strip the splines where the hubs are held on. 35s could break them though.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And, you should read your bown links on occasion, the AMC20's weakness is the two piece design, and once that is changed out to a 1-piece axle, THEN it is as strong as the D44.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I forget, but I think it depends.

The hub is held on be a large bolt, but the part that breaks does not physically break off, it strips. So, the wheel should remain in place by the bolt, it just will not be driven by the drive train because the axle splines strip off. The splines strip because the axle twists, and this can allow the bolt to snap off in some cases. As long as the bolt remains entact, the tire should stay on. It would suck to have your tire go rolling by though.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They also never spin unless you change the leverage on them by installing much larger tires and bouncing them on a hillside...

And since the vehicle is a CJ5, it is AT LEAST 22 years old, making it almost a certainty that the axles have been taken apart for one reason or another.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill, you need to get out from behind your keyboard and experience the real world for a while. The 2-piece AMC 20 axleshafts break often enough to have created an active secondary market for replacement

1-piece axleshafts. If there was no need, there would be no market for the stronger 1-piece design. It's only once the 2-piece axleshaft is replaced by the 1-piece design that it becomes about as strong as a Dana 44.

Of course I guarantee that as usual, you'll squeal like a stuck pig how w> I will remind you AMC used then behind their muscle cars. They

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jerry B. is quite correct, the only real issue with the AMC 20 in most cases is the 2-piece axle design. The axle tubes are on the thin side, however the R&P is plenty stout. Swapping in a 1 piece axle from Superior, Moser, etc. is a total fix in most cases, and lockers are readily available.

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III