Lifting leaf-spring suspension

I'm just reading and trying to learn here and came up with a couple of questions. I read that lift blocks pretty much suck and I can see why because of how they'd multiply axle-wrap. I'm _not_ going to use lift blocks but I am wondering why I keep hearing "If you *do* use them then just be sure to NEVER use them on the front axle." Why is that? Also I was just thinking and it seems to me like if you put something like a 1" or so lift block between the frame and the spring perches, that you'd get a corresponding amount of lift without increasing the multiplier for axle wrap. Know what I mean? It just seems like you'd be sort of doing the same thing you're doing with a body lift, but on the underside of the frame rather than on the top side of the frame. What would be bad/wrong with doing that? Seems like that would be easier than doing the body lift since you could do one perch at a time rather than having to remove the whole body. The more I read, the more I'm thinking I don't want much of a lift at all, just enough to clear the tires I wind up with, and I'm not shy about fender trimming so I don't think I'm going to wind up lifting my Jeep (when I get it) much at all. If I got a CJ-5 and wanted to put 33" tires on it and the suspension was 100% stock, would fender-trimming alone be enough to clear those tires or would there be other interference spots? I'd want to put a MILD lift of some sort on it anyway, but I'm just wondering if in general the limiting factor on tire size is fender clearance. (I mean other than the extra stress put on the driveline.) Can you guys please comment on the questions I posed above? Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Spring lift blocks are illegal in most states and dangerous in all. As far as body lift, you don't actually remove the body... simply unbolt existing mounts and raise the body enough for each new spacer. You are correct about lifting only enough to clear the tires, especially on the early narrow track CJ's. Which brings me to another suggestion... you might want to look for

82 or newer CJ's to get the wide track axles. You will need some kind of lift to clear 33's, you might get away with 2" body. Personally, I would avoid trimming the body for aesthetic reasons.

To get more lift on a CJ, either use lift springs or do a spring over axle (SOA) conversion. Don't do body lift over 3", also illegal in most states and causes shift, clutch, and steering linkage problems. Also stay away from extended shackles.

When you do get your Jeep, you will probably be the best prepared new owner ever! Keep it up!

-- JimG

80' CJ-7, 258 CID 35" BFG MT's on 15x10 Centerlines 4.56 D30-D44 SOA D300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn 8000i w/dual batteries LockRight F&R

Reply to
JimG