Axle & Wheel Bearings YJ

My rear wheel bearings need replacing in my YJ and so the idea of upgrading axles has crossed my mind. I don't do any serious rock crawling. But do experience the occasional stream bed and deal with a lot of mud and rutted roads. My YJ has OME suspension (about 1.5 inch lift) and 4.10 gear ratios in the differentials.

I'm wondering if the D35 heavy duty axle upgrades or the Warn full floater axle kits include wheel bearings?

Does the Warn full floater axle kit include a heavy duty axle?

Does anyone have any experience with these items? Or any other suggestions? Advice?

I know a Dana 44 would solve all the heavy duty issues, but I live overseas and Dana 44s are no where to be found here and shipping one from the US would be prohibitive.

Reply to
beeps

If you can get a Super 35 kit from Superior Axle, that includes everything you're asking for. Seriously stronger axle shafts (the strength of D44 axle shafts), bearings, even a Detroit Locker or for a little more $$$, an ARB Air Locker.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Doesn't the Super 35 kit still use C-clips? What's the point then? I would get a Warn full floater kit.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle, it's not the c-clips that fail, you should know that. It's the D35c's skinny shaft that fails, the c-clip design only allows the axleshaft to slide out after breaking. Strengthen the axleshaft itself, where it fails, and becomes an axleshaft with a very good reputation. The Super35 axleshaft has a similar strength rating to the Dana 44.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Maybe, but I don't like C-clips on principle. I have seen lots of C-clip axles slide out, some on pavement with no excuse for it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

beeps,

I think most of the European vehicles have the D44. Don't know where you are, but you could try the scrapyards, perhaps.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

My mistake was in not being patient enough to wait for the right one. Two weeks after I bought mine I ran into someone who had just bought a mid-seventies Suburban in decent shape with three quarter ton suspension and standard transmission.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think they have treatments now for Premature Suburbanation....

Approximately 8/14/03 14:47, Earle Horton uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell