An excellent Jeep

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

During the Korean war the army, for some reason, had a large quantity of anhydrous ammonia so they got a motorpool sergeant to build an ammonia engine. They gave him a single cylinder air cooled engine to start with and he had it running nicely on ammonia in very short time.

There was quite a write up about it in Popular Science or some similar magazine at the time but as far as I know, nothing more was done with it.

Here's a website of a company working on ammonia fueled engines today, they do give credit to the army's engine.

XS11E

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Your lucky. Ammonia, NH3 is a no bullshit dangerous gas.

It's a great refrigerant though, but you can't use copper pipes to handle it.

Ammonia is also useful as fertilizer and can be introduced directly into the irrigation pipes.

Odd thing.. Ammonia is a outgassing product of ye old ciggy.

Reply to
DougW

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Know what you mean, I got a whiff of anhydrous ammonia years back, two hours later I couldn't get enough breath to climb a flight of stairs!

Probably kids today would be sniffing it if they knew..... :-(

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III