An excellent Jeep

Here's a Jeeper who was thinking right:

Bret Ludwig

Not air cooled. In Spain they would pronounce that "dyay-sell", and they would put "gasoleo" in the tank.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Any Idea whose that is? and what the motor came out of?

I have a buddy here in NY, he crossed a 92 yj with a 76 scout 6cyl diesel trans and axels.

Reply to
John

What a total piece of crap!

The thing shouldn't be street legal, it is a death machine waiting to kill someone.

The fool who built it has the exhaust pipe coming out in front of the back tire. Sure it 'looks' cool, but.... That will vortex the exhaust under the vehicle and fill the cab with carbon monoxide.

There 'is' a reason diesel trucks have tall stacks or monster tailpipes....

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Cab? What cab?

Reply to
XS11E

Diesel engines produce virtually no lethal carbon monoxide. They DO produce soot, aldehydes and other very nasty smelling stuff, depending on fuel and conditions. So if it was a problem, they would change it promptly because the vehicle would be very, very, very unpleasant to drive (at least).

I have seen a lot of Jeeps with this exhaust arrangement. I don't like it either, but considering that most of them have carbureted gasoline engines and a lot have no cat cons, if it were backgassing badly you would see Jeepers dropping dead of CO poisioning left and right. That's why city pound trucks were always spec'd with big gas engines-they would have a fitting like a vacuum cleaner put on the tailpipe and a bleed bypass valve on the intake, like Dave Blanton had on his Ford-powered Cessna, so they could tweak the mixture (with a Heathkit gas analyzer, I know because that's where I bought mine) for max CO to hook up to the euth box. They declared CO gassing inhumane and they had to saw the fitting off the exhaust pipe.

There is no laminar flow around a Jeep, any Jeep, anywhere-so at any speed gases go everywhere.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

The part behind the windshield with the two seats in it where the air flow comes in in a vortex from the rear and hits you in the back of the head part. You know, where the rain soaks the back of your head and the windshield need an inside wiper.

Or maybe you don't know....

I mean I guess if he always leaves the top and doors off and doesn't mind stinging eyes And the wind is blowing the right way, he might live through a trip in it..... CO is bad shit....

If he just wants to have it sit in the driveway and look pretty, well he has done a nice job then eh. Otherwise it is a piece of crap.

Mike

Mike Romain

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

You should probably reply to the person who wrote the above rather than me.

Reply to
XS11E

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Top? Doors? What top? What doors? OBTW, it's a diesel.

Reply to
XS11E

I read it....

That might be ok for a perfectly tuned diesel that never gets lugged. CO comes from incomplete combustion. People have tendency to lug diesels because of the low rpm torque. Hey that's why folks like them.

Is his engine 'perfect'? Can he always keep it in the top power band with lots of rpm where it gets low CO? Not likely....

Big rigs have a lot of gears so they can keep up in the top of the power band. Jeeps don't.

Mike

Mike Romain

I guess you don't know then..... Too bad it's trip to drive topless and doorless.

If you take the top and doors off a Jeep and drive in the rain, the air comes in from the rear in a vortex and soaks the back of your head and covers the inside of the windshield with water.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

I do know. I think you've missed the entire point of my post in addition to twice replying to the wrong person in your previous post.

It's pretty confusing??? ;-)

Anyway, the important point is that the Suns have defeated the Lakers and Clippers and now will play the Mavericks for the Western Conference Title, SO THERE!

Reply to
XS11E

Apparently he has driven it extensively and it hasn't been a problem for him or he would fix it. It's not as though it would be a terribly difficult or expensive thing to run a exhaust pipe to the back.

To answer your later question, a diesel generates carbon monoxide only under a very narrow band of conditions. Since the intake is unthrottled, diesels always have excess air (if they don't they are really, really smoking). If CO were the only problem diesels could be operated safely inside enclosed areas-and indeed, in mines, they are, albeit mine certified versions with mine diesel fuel and catalytic converters. Gasoline engines on the other hand generate CO at all power settings but especially at idle. Even LPG and CNG engines generate CO unless they are carefully set up not to do so. Only engines burning non-carbon fuels like hydrogen or ammonia are intrinsically non-carbon monoxide generators.

If this exhaust were a killer it would be hundreds or thousands of times more dangerous with a gas engine.

To sum up, I don't care for this arrangement but apparently it's not a problem because it would be easily fixed if it were.

That's why the windscreen folds down.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

When I worked in the Dodge/International dealer back in 1978, there was a customer who had a D100 with the Nissan (?) diesel, that he was inordinately proud of. He had a chromed stack built, to exit high just behind the driver's side door. The body was a fleetside (wide style pickup body) too. That stack curved around the body, adding a good six inches to the vehicle width. It was hot too, and there was no way a normal-thinking person would avoid hitting it on exiting the cab. Good thing the guy in the bay next to mine always seemed to get to work on it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

"Engines burning...ammonia"? Huh?

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

LOL! Too true!

I just am really paranoid about exhaust and find folks aren't aware of how sneaky it is.

I posted a warning a couple years back about getting gassed out in a TJ if you drive with just the soft top windows out and leave the doors on. A friend kept falling asleep at the wheel and we went on a camping trip in his Jeep. His girlfriend warned me about him falling asleep. Well sure enough we were less than an hour into the drive and he is nodding off. I took over driving and started to too, then realized we were getting gassed by the forehead headache and difficulty keeping my eyes open. I got the door windows open and cranked the fan to full and was ok after I woke up buddy.

Well.... He still didn't freaking believe me!!!!!! He continued to drive like that until he rolled his TJ on a sunny day on a straight piece of road.... He still 'doesn't know what happened'....

Mike

Mike Romain

I have to laugh at all the people with the rear window "only" removed. from the Jeep soft top. The owners manual does say not to do that. Does it? Very dangerous indeed!

Mike Roma>

Reply to
FrankW

Sometimes it's amazing how big an effect a little change in your exhaust exit can have. When I finished rebuilding my CJ the exhaust dumped straight out the back, just to the inside of the drivers side tire. The fumes just about killed me from time to time. When I was driving, even on the highway, I'd get clean air, exhaust, clean air, exhaust. I could feel it swirling around me. I changed it so it made a little dog leg at the rear to dump just behind the rear tire and pointing slightly down and I haven't had a problem since. Basically I put it back to its' factory location (damn, sometimes engineers do get it right!).

Highway, trail, top, doors, windows or any combination thereof and I don't have exhaust fumes any more. I was pretty amazed at what a difference such a small change made. I'd have to say the exhaust tip didn't move more than 8" +/- but it was all the world.

Reply to
Tom Greening

It's flammable and can be burned in an IC engine. It has to be specially built, though: it attacks copper, aluminum and common bearing materials. I have never actually seen an ammonia engine but they did exist, apparently being used around commercial ammonia refrigeration systems. It wouldn't be practical for a vehicle to be sure.

But whatever its dangers, carbon monoxide wouldn't be one.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

In other words, this is an idea you pulled out of your butt?

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton