Another Idle problem, '89 YJ 4.2

My '89 YJ was never the best at idling. In the past I've cleaned out the idle tubes, had my carter rebuilt, and so on.. Now without goosing the gas, it won't idle at all. It goes right to stall. At hiway speed it runs great. You guys have always helped me in the past.What do ya think?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe C

I have had the same problem with my '87 YJ and I noticed a leak in the Air intake manifold gaskit. Once I replaced that, it idled great at the stoplight(s).

Reply to
MiplacedJeep

I would be checking the idle tubes again. Those buggers like to plug up again and again.

I oversized mine and they still plugged up again.

I then got smart and cleaned the gas line from the filter to the carb! It had tons of junk in it that was just getting back into the carb.

One year and counting since my last idle tube clean, knocking on wood....

If you just remove the choke butterfly, the venturi cluster can be pulled out the top and the tubes cleaned.

Here is a good link on the test and fix for the idle tubes.

I will bet if you check at idle, there is nothing coming out of the venturis.

Mike

Joe C wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

BTW I meant to tell you I used your advice on my friends Jeep (an 88 YJ Sahara which I asked for advice on here this past summer) before I got my own Jeep. Removed choke plate, yanked venturi cluster out, cleaned idle tubes, also sprayed all the passages out with carb cleaner, and replaced the gasket the cluster sits on.

Turns out the two screws that hold the venturi cluster down were very loose, the gasket seemed unseated and goosing the gas (like you might do starting out in first gear) caused a bog down or stall. I think air was getting sucked in at the gasket (or a part of the gasket was getting sucked in). Anyway great advice; my friend (he's also my Boss) was quite happy that his Jeep runs a shit load better. The difference between stalling as you start out at a stop sign (dangerous to say the least when leaves to dead in the middle of an intersection) and running smooth after the fix is sweet.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

If something is coming out of the venturis at idle, there's a problem.

Reply to
bllsht