idle

my 258 is not idling properly. Sometimes it will idle when cold for a little bit, but quickly starts to stall everytime. I can get it to idle if i close the choke a little bit by hand. What does this mean? is it too lean? if so how do you make it more rich Also i can see gas sloshin out of the two nozzles. I've takin the idle tubes out and cleaned them various times but does not the idling problem.

Reply to
88yj

First, is this the unmodified stock carburetor, Weber upgrade, Nutter bypass or what? History can make all the difference here.

Second, if this is the stock OEM carburetor, from the description it sounds as if the choke or choke linkage is sticking or out of adjustment. Closing the choke a little by hand could just be compensating for the choke not closing itself as much as it needs to. I would look at the linkage, work the choke by hand, look for binding and maybe spray some carburetor cleaner on things to free things up. Does the vehicle idle when warm? That would seem to point to a choke problem.

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Two things come to mind, first is a kit for that carb runs about $20.00 and is easy to put in. It comes with a new float needle and seat which when bad cause gas to pour out those nozzles.

Needing choke to 'get' gas pouring out those nozzles can mean the gas filter is plugged or you have a vacuum leak.

The gas filters are supposed to be changed every couple years, more often if you off road. Make sure the center line from the filter goes to the carb and the 'top' line from the filter goes to the return line.

One way to chase down a vacuum leak is to carefully spray WD40 or carb cleaner along the carb base plate and on the joint between the head and the intake manifold. leaks at either place will cause the idle to jump when you spray.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:

88yj wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain