Another 'lifetime' joint gone bad!

Grrr....

I hate changing out parts needlessly. Back in 2000 when I rebuilt my CJ7 I put all new front end parts in. I thought I was being smart and put in 'lifetime' 'Heavy Duty' joints.

Well they allmost all failed really soon, one only lasted 8 months before water killed it.

I 'think' I found the last one of those SOB's (I hope) blown, a lower ball joint. Well it lasted 6 years, but only for less than half the life of one set of tires. My 33x9.5" BFG Muds were new then too and they are less than half worn.

So basically if anyone runs water crossings or even drives in a lot of rain, I highly recommend the type of joints you can grease. I 'always' get water out of the joints when I grease them.

Mike

Mike Romain

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Just general chassis and bearing grease works great at making joints last... If you can get it into them!

The expensive ones don't allow it, they think their grease is 'special' or something so you can't add more.

Mike

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I use it on my boat trailer along with bearing buddies. It's generally quite a bit thinner than automotive grease and gets even thinner as it absorbs water. It works fine with roller bearings but I wouldn't use it for ball joints. The problem with water dunking is the difference in pressure and temperature forcing water in past the seals. Bearing Buddies keep positive pressure inside the hub, but have to be greased regularly and most boat trailer wheel bearings don't last that long anyway.

I've generally taken Lifetime Warranty to mean the lifetime of the part > Hi Mike,

Reply to
Al J