Another mileage thread- 90s Cher-GW?

I am considering buying a 1990-2000 Cherokee or Grand Waggy for my wife (who hates snow), and keeping it stock. What kind of mileage are those of you who own these rigs getting?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I averaged 20 mpg in general (overall) driving in my 2000 XJ with the 4 speed automatic

Reply to
billy ray

Our 88 5 speed gets 25 or more mpg on the highway with about 10 less in our city driving. Short trips.

Mike

Mike Romain

For what it's worth ... winter mileage (4wd in snow, slush ... cold weather driving) is about 80% summer mileage (2wd) going by km on the odometer at fillups ... 450km or so winter vs 550-600km summer. 4.0L HO, 4 spd auto, command-trac. So if my summer is 10-11 litres/100km, winter is ... getting expensive :-) But it's worth it for me (tows my boat in summer ... don't ask about the mileage the boat gets) and no way will I go back to 2wd up here in winter ... and the 4.0L uses regular ... so there's a 10-30% cost bonus.

Reply to
bowgus

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

Around town, about 14-18. Flat freeway keeping it under 70, about

21-22. Really hilly freeway and/or running at 75+ gets 19-20. Stock I6 except for cat back, synth blend oil, and michelins.
Reply to
Lon

Carbureted?

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Nope, 4.0 Renix MPFI engine that AMC set up.

It runs very nice, just the body is falling off the wheels at about a chunk per mile.... I am going to swap some stuff over to a 'new' 87 4 door with the same engine/tranny combo I just picked up that still has floorboards even... ;-)

Mike

Stupendous Man wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

95 Cherokee Sport, 4.0L, Part Time 4WD, Auto. 235/75R15 Wrangler RT/S tires. *Lead foot.*

Combined street/freeway: 12-14MPG (Sometimes almost 15MPG if I really baby the pedal)

ONE time, on a 200+ mile trip (mostly freeway): 19MPG

HTH

noneyabusiness

Wow, that makes me feel better. My '97 Cherokee 4.0L gets over 13mpg towing a large (over 2 ton) trailer (that has the aerodynamics of a big brick, since it's a box, 12' x 8') and between 19-22 without the trailer on a run.

Reply to
Danny

Thanks guys. I have an 80 Dtasun 4x4 pickup i got for free, and it's rusting and burns oil, won't smog so i cant sell it, but live in a no-smog county so i can drive it. It is a terrible offroader (IFS), and the cab is too small for me. This is my Wifes snow car now, but I found out the State of California will pay me $1000 for it if it fails smog so I guess that's about half of what a XJ will cost, and get about the same mileage. I have a trailer with a toyota pickup bed, so really don't need the pickup.

Reply to
Stupendous Man