Anyone changed a gas tank sending unit in an XJ

Guys, my brother and I had a bad sending unit in the gas tank of his 89 XJ. The tank is the 20 gallon version. Well, we were able to get the ring off by using a screwdriver to hammer on it (wrapped in rags so as to not create a spark). After mounting the pump into the new (dealership ripoff! 188 dollars later :( ) unit from the stealership, we set out on putting it back in. Well, I must say, once you mount the pump/pickup apparatus in place, it is a royal bitch to get the ring back on. We tried everything. The lips on the ring have to go under the lips on the cover itself. And, the rubber gasket never seems to want to stay in place. I just wanted to see if anyone has done this annoying procedure before. After spending 188 dollars on the unit, we could have bought a gas tank (with the unit in place) from the damn junkyard and just swapped tanks. I hate it when things don't go exactly right. And, I'm in Arizona where it's 110 degrees to make your carwork that much more enjoyable. :( LOL. Anyway, any tips are appreciated. TIA Scott Tate

89 XJ
Reply to
Scott

to help keep the gasket/o-ring in place, i always use a couple dabs of RTV... make sure to get the stuff that's compatible with gasoline. other than that... yes, it's a PITA

Reply to
Chuck Bremer