Anyone replaced seats?

You may find this useful:

nrs

I remember a lot of discussion here when those neoprene seat covers first came out. Wet okole or something like that. They repelled after they saturated maybe, but everyone said they were bad sponges. Just like wet suit stuff, it saturates.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ya, when I first got my CJ it had fiero seats in it, supposed to be a good replacement, but they sat too low, felt like I was driving my old mustang, but at least in the mustang I wanted to sit low.

You may find this useful:

Greg

I don't know, everything I read about neoprene, including the wet okole site says waterproof.

Reply to
Greg

Some of the aftermarket suppliers make vertically adjustable seat base brackets, but for me that's where the welder comes in. An inch of height can make all the difference.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I didn't have a welder back then, nor did I know anything about jeeps, now I weld something weekly, and know every nut and bolt on my jeep. If it wasn't for jeeps I'd still be a check the oil and water type of guy.

Reply to
Greg

In article , Greg wrote: # I don't know, everything I read about neoprene, including the wet okole #site says waterproof.

Define waterproof.

If you mean keeping the seat itself dry, then yes. It does a great job of that as long as no holes are put in the material and the seams are sealed.

If you mean easy to dry off so you don't look like you pee'ed your pants, then no.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Ah man... Everyone that bought into the wet okole BS felt they got suckered. You don't hear about them much any more... Sure they keep the seat dry, just not your butt. They don't call then 'Wet' for nothing, it is not false advertising....

They also sunburn very badly and turn gray right away.

Now if you can take the covers off and hang them off the antennas, they do dry out that way fairly fast that way it was posted.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The good thing about all this is that a former Microsoft manager that I didn't particularly like bought a set way back when. I wondered how they would work out for him, I had a pretty good guess, but now I know for sure. I have the stock 1995 Wrangler vinyl seats, and when new they shed water pretty good, but now the seams have stretched a bit and you wouldn't leave the vehicle outside in the rain with the top off. For now, a pretty good solution is a set of Bestop vinyl seat covers. If they get wet a towel will fix that pretty quick, but I know that sooner or later the vinyl will start to show cracks and pinholes. It is a pain in the neck putting the trail cover on every time but it's either that or a wet ass.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Fiero and Mustang are pretty different. The original seats in my '95 Yj aren't exceptionally thick compared to those in other cars. It could work, like Earl suggested, a small change in the base brackets and you could be all set.

Reply to
nrs

useful:

Mustang seats are terrible! Unless you have at least a 36" inseam, you aren't driving a Jeep with a clutch and Mustang seats. The padding is so thick up front, it grabs you behind the knees and unless you have the long legs, you aren't getting the clutch down.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

LOL! This could also help control a heavy right foot, make the Jeep last much longer!

Reply to
nrs

Doesnt mean there isnt other jeepers up there. lol. Yea, must be a great place to live! Always wanted to check that area out.

When I picked up my PRP seats, I got their mounting hardware, so they go fowards and back ok - well at least until they hit the gear rack in the back. The guys set them high in the cage - because I am short I bet. I wasnt there when they mounted them, they mostly did it by luck. I can see out easy and I sit very upright. I like that if the bottom pads/pillows get to bad, I can just order new ones from them. They are held in by velcro. I use the covers all the time. Dont like dusty dirty wet seats. Wet is bad enough, but add it to trail dust and bleah. They were awful expensive, but I think well worth it for me.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I think he is related to the other Jeepers. ;-)

We lived across from him on Vancouver Island a few years back, it is 'soo' nice out there. The trails are wicked.

I need large seats, I am 6'4", 225 lb. I wonder if Caddy seats would swap over? Hmmm... most GM seats fit CJ7's...

Mike

jbjeep wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain