arg.. st00pid wiper motor

93ZJ.. silly rear wiper motor decided to run all by itself.

Probably a short somewhere, but for now pulling fuse#9 will keep it put.

Intertubes not helping much, but then again most things I can find will tell me, "buy a new Jeep". :)

But then again the Heep is old enough to legally drink. Can't say I'm unimpressed by how few problems it had compared to my C-10 Chevy.

Reply to
DougW

Doug, see if you can by-pass the intermittent wiper module. It may be shorted. I would also pull the wiper switch from the column and check those contacts. AIR, the contact plate is pretty exposed rather than sealed.

My MJ (5 years older than your ZJ) has a circuit breaker rather than a fuse and it had a habit of tripping when I first got the heap. That turned out to be a metal flake shorting the contacts in the motor itself - but only when it was raining. Worked fine with the washer - naturally.

Reply to
Will Honea

This one is in the dash, but yea it might be the module. I did have problems with the motor not parking before (and come to think of it that might be the issue now).....

The previous time it could start but wouldn't stop in the winter. Had to clean the commutator? (what ever they call that bit of flat copper track in the wiper assembly) It was all full of old hardened grease/water proofing stuff/. Used a big glob of dielectric grease (probably not the same stuff but that was the closest I had apart from bearing/cv boot grease)

I do need to pull the wiper switch from the column though. The intermittent part isn't working anymore and that's a pain in the ass when it is just lightly raining. Problem is from what I've read it's one big plastic module. Hopefully if it's not repairable internally I can bypass the column and rig a separate control for the speed. Should just be a variable resistor/potentiometer/ and I've got a whole selection of those from various busted stuff.

My old C-10 had a problem with the washers not stopping. I tried and tried to fix it but nothing worked... till I set the thing down on the fender and it stopped moving! Seems it needed a ground strap. Carefully.. carefully.. looking at the rubber mounting isolators I found remnants of a copper strap that had corroded. Heck, it only took eight years to fix that problem. I felt happy, elated, and st00pid all at the same time.

Reply to
DougW

The 92 XJ my son just scrapped had a relay in the lift gate for the wiper motor.

If it sticks closed when hot, it will keep it running.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Nice to see at least 4 of us still look at this group, or any news group for that matter, I miss the days of Mike Romaine and Bill Hughes. Although I hated it at the time, would even like to be reading the battle of Bill H and that guy that hated him so much, worst part was, I didn't know why he hated him so much, must of missed that thread at the beginning. I read rec.guns too, that has dwindled down to a post every few days too, that definitely shows the end is near for news groups.

The 92 XJ my son just scrapped had a relay in the lift gate for the wiper motor.

If it sticks closed when hot, it will keep it running.

Reply to
Greg

But not as bad as rec.motorcycles.virago, I just bought a 84 Virago, figured I would check that group out, hum, not much help there, last post was 2009.

Nice to see at least 4 of us still look at this group, or any news group for that matter, I miss the days of Mike Romaine and Bill Hughes. Although I hated it at the time, would even like to be reading the battle of Bill H and that guy that hated him so much, worst part was, I didn't know why he hated him so much, must of missed that thread at the beginning. I read rec.guns too, that has dwindled down to a post every few days too, that definitely shows the end is near for news groups.

The 92 XJ my son just scrapped had a relay in the lift gate for the wiper motor.

If it sticks closed when hot, it will keep it running.

Reply to
Greg

Yep. Usenet started the downward slide when lots of people moved off to forums. Sad really as Usenet is worldwide and thus was a very good source for information from everywhere. (lots of crap too, but still) Forums just do a better job at keeping kooks and spammers away.

Still have my RAMJ+W T-shirt! (bit tattered and faded though)

Reply to
DougW

I used to be in a.a.d.t. (alt.autos.dodge.trucks) and there, for a long time, we ran spammers/trolls off with lots of ridicule.

I remember one instance where the troll, a ford fanatic, began bashing Dodges and we eventually converted him into a decent poster.

Then it died off to petty squabbling while I was out of touch for a while.

And I sure wasn't going to try to do CPR on a bunch of pixels on a screen.

Reply to
Budd Cochran