98 astro wiper motor

See if you can figure this one out. Last week I was doing the work all week without any sleep routing and left my dome light on in my 98 Astro. The next morning the battery is dead. I break out my portable battery jumper and put on clamp to positive and the other clamp to what I thought was the frame. The clamp was actually on the wiper motor mount. I get in, turn on the ignition, and the wiper starts working but won't shut off with the control switch. I get out and realise what I've done, reset the clamp to the engine frame to start the van. Now my wiper motor refuses to work unless I repeat the orginal screw up. Any ideas ??

Reply to
me eddie

did u check the fuse?

Reply to
Bob Doe

Yup.Actually I checked all the fuses, I did'nt see one specifically marked for the wiper. I'm starting to suspect that there is a cycle or location switch that is not lined up.

Reply to
me eddie

There isn't a fuse per say for the wipers, but there is a circuit breaker, which you could have fried. There is no definitive way to tell if the breaker is bad just by looking at it (like visualizing the burned thru wire in a fuse). You're just going to have to replace the breaker and hope it works.

If it doesn't work, then my next guess is that you fried the circuit board for the wipers, which lives under the black plastic cover on the unit where the wiper motor is attached. There is a fault on these boards which causes wiper problems, but I'm afraid that after your episode my near-famous fix for it will not be of much help. You may have fried one, some or all of the electronic components on the board by accident. You can replace the board yourself (which controls all wiper functions) for about $50 for the part. If you need to know how, post the question and I will follow up with you.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race