U Joint question.

Installed new U Joint on my 95 YJ. Rear axle. Lower joint. Got the right part but it is not a tight fit into the yoke as I've been told it should be. The joint has a grease fitting. Should I loosen the straps and grease it up until the bearing caps contact the tabs, or leave it alone? The new joint seemed to quiet down my vibration problem. Thanks as always.

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

You can try loosening the straps a little bit and filling it with greast but it sounds like your yoke is warped. Try the grease first.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Thats what I figured. I am really getting discouraged. It seems like one thing after another. AARRGGHH!!

Reply to
jerryg

Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. The nickel and dime stuff can be very discouraging, but don't let it get to you.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

No way, in three mos I've bought three Jeeps. I won't have anything else. Although they sometimes test my patience, I wouldn't trade um for anything. I love em!!

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

I had a nice boat for about 6 years. I spent ALOT of money on it. I was told, and I know from first hand experience, that boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand!! How true. The boat was a lot of fun, but not half as fun as driving a Jeep!!

Greg

Reply to
jerryg

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
RoyJ

Your yoke is now damaged from the last loose one.

I have 'never' seen a successful fix, the yoke needs replacing.

I had the exact thing happen to my CJ7 and tried to keep using it 'loose' like you have hoping the new straps would hold it. I got away with it for quite a while too, but...

When it let got again, it grenaded the yoke so the driveshaft turned into a propeller taking out my exhaust, my gas line and my brake line while punching holes in the floor of the Jeep.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Installed new U Joint on my 95 YJ. Rear axle. Lower joint. Got the
Reply to
Mike Romain

How in heck do you thing grease can handle the stress of a spinning driveshaft?????

'If' it was a hydraulically sealed system, then the hydraulic pressure might allow the u-joint to 'float' between the ear caps, but this is not even close to that.

Have 'any' slop in a u-joint 'will' lead to failure, usually sooner than later.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > You can try loosening the straps a little bit and filling it with greast but
Reply to
Mike Romain