Lift kit and front drive line angle

I am installing a RE 4.5" Lift kit in my YJ. I am not putting the t-case lower bits and will be installing a SYE/CV shaft on the rear.

If I leave the t-case at it's normal height, do I still need to add shims to the front?

-Dan

Reply to
Dan

L.W.(ßill)

The RE kit has longer leaf shackles that have the effect of tipping your front pinion up a little. No shims required to maintain a good pinion angle for your front CV shaft.

Steve

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Dan,

I've had this kit on my '94YJ, although I have a D44 in front, D60 rear and an Atlas II. I have CVs front & rear at the t-case. If you're retaining the stock YJ D30 in front you may not have any driveline issues, however you'll definitiely have caster problems from the kits 5" shackles (1" longer than stock).

To correct my front caster I needed an additional 2 degrees. (The kit came with four crap Pro Comp 2 1/2 degree aluminum shims which I tossed.) I had the rear spring pads cut loose and rewelded with the pinion centered to the T-case. In front I added steel shims from Poison Spyder Customs. They've been on there two years and have held up fine.

FWIW, if you don't dial in the front caster it will be all over the road.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Yes, the shims keep the front wheel alignment correct. The YJ already has a CV or double cardan joint on the driveshaft, so only the rear needs one.

Mike

Dan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain