I stand corrected.

From: "Mike Romain" Subject: Re: YJ Axle Seal Date: Friday, May 21, 2004 9:41 AM

Then how can the outer seal leak?

I mean when they leak, they freaking pour it out if you are tipped sideways.

This cannot be if there is an inner seal. (Don't even think about telling me the inner seal must be blown on 'all' of the ones I have seen or heard of needing an axle seal changed, I won't believe that for a second)

Where is the dip stick or check hole for the shift motor oil?

The book cannot say 'toss a tablespoon or so' in there when opening it up only.

The maintenance schedule does 'not' mention anywhere that you have to check the oil level in the shift motor nor are any provisions made to do so.

'Every' other fluid level in the Jeep has a way to check it.

Tell ya what, when I get a chance to help the next person who needs an outer seal changed, I will get them to fill up the shift motor to see if oil actually stays in it or the OP could do that just to make sure.

Mike

Jerry McG wrote:

> No oil splashes in there, the diff oil is sealed in the pumpkin by the > carrier seals. The lube stays in the shift housing area. between the outer > seal and the inner bearing/seal assy > > > To prelub it so it doesn't wear before oil splashes up there? > > > > Mike > > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 > > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's > > > > Jeepster wrote: > > > > > > I have read that they do and never looked when I had it apart..... I > > > wonder why the need to put fluid in the vac disconnect housing if you > > > don't have an inner seal. > > > > > > > > > > > > > I don't show an inner seal on the right side: > > > >
Reply to
Jerry McG